Bestlife Buttery spread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old78

Reaction score
In the past week I have made a couple batches of soap using coconut oil, lard, caster oil and soybean oil and they seem to be doing fine, will know for sure in a month..
today I was bored so I made a batch using a 15oz tub of bestlife buttery spread, lard ,coconut oil, caster oil. I guess the buttery spread is used in place of butter, my wife probably had a coupon and that's how we got it and I was tired of moving it around the refridg.. it has soybean oil, olive oil and other things in it. The stuff came to trace in about 20 minutes and I have it setting in a mold.. I hope it will suds up in a month.

I'm curious to hear how this soap turns out - the first ingredient in the butter spread is water, and there is artificial flavor (which I interpret to be some kind of alcohol-based substance, but I could be wrong)... plus all the other stuff... I probably wouldn't have used it for soap, but I guess someone needed to try it!

I'm curious to hear how this soap turns out - the first ingredient in the butter spread is water, and there is artificial flavor (which I interpret to be some kind of alcohol-based substance, but I could be wrong)... plus all the other stuff... I probably wouldn't have used it for soap, but I guess someone needed to try it!
I took a wild guess about the water and took an ounce off the lye water, I'll take it out of the mold tomorrow and see how it is.

The amount of water and other ingredients would have been 8 oz and the fat content 6.9 oz, so, unless you did a low lye concentration you have quite a lot of extra water and how did you handle the almost 7 oz of oil? Hopefully you did not use the entire 15 oz as fat. Waiting to see the cut soap! If my calculations are wrong DeeAnna will surely pass by and figure it out correctly ;)

I didn't use just the buttery spread, I also used other fats and oils for a total of 80 ounces. I just took off the towel to get a quick smell and it's solid and smells like soap.

Zap test this one for sure.
And keep this thread active!
A lot of us here are interested in "experiments" like this.

Worst case you made a batch of laundry soap.
I just gave all my soaps a nice lick and they just tasted soapy, I'll give them a PH test in about a month.

Back