Best use of FO Sample Sets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdawgs

Reaction score
I bought a couple sample sets from Brambleberry (Men's and Best sellers). So now I have about 20 small bottles to try. They are only 1/2 oz, so there's not a lot to work with. What's the best thing to do with them? I've read that scents go further(need less) in hot process or rebatching compared to cold process.

I made my first HP batch last weekend. It seemed like a disaster at the time and the soap looks kind of ugly. But it actually works really well as soap. So I figured this would be a good opportunity to do some more experimenting with HP.

I was also considering making a moderately sized batch of CP and then rebatch using the samples of FO.

I know this won't give me any indication of how the scents will behave in CP, but I guess I just got the sets to see what they smell like. I have found a number of them that I'd never buy and many that I would, so that's what I was looking for. Once I buy a larger amount, then I can play with CP.

Thoughts?

In Hindsight, maybe I should have put this thread in the Beginner or Lye section. Please move as you feel appropriate.

Last edited:
I found the samples are great for making 1-2 single bars of soap. I made a cp batch then weighed out 6-8 oz of batter, scented it and made a couple bars of each fo. Some were a little stronger than they would be in a normal full batch but I was able to get a very good idea of how the fragrance would behave both during and after the make. The only thing is, you need to keep good notes on A when you're making it because you may forget which fo does what by the time you're done.

Personally, I would make a bigger batch (3lbs) of soap and just separate it out into separate containers and add the different fragrances to each container. I also wouldn't judge a FO just by OOB smell as I've had several that I didn't like and left sitting on the shelf but decided to finally try them and really liked them.

If you only have a large mold do as shunt says and make one whole batch, divide it into two or three depending on your mold and mix in your FO into each mini batch, then use dividers to keep each scented section separate.

Totally agree about OOB scent being wildly different to final CP soap. Also wait for cure before dismissing a FO.

Last edited:
I make 1lb batches at a time. .5 is plenty for that sized batch but then again, me and mine have a higher sensitivity to FOs and EOs and I usually have to be careful which type and how much to use (luckily, mom hasn't had the itchies from being in standing range of any of my soaps).

Very good. I think you guys talked me into some CP trials. Although I still have plenty for some possible HP and rebatching experiments. Thanks again!

Very good. I think you guys talked me into some CP trials. Although I still have plenty for some possible HP and rebatching experiments. Thanks again!

You will probably make some failures (if you are like me) in future that will require rebatching (I've never tried it as it sounds horrendous and I don't like the look of the bars) or confetti-ing (I love doing this) I don't think I'd go to the trouble of making a CP soap just to rebatch.

Latest posts

Back