Best tasting SPF lip balm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the Internet, I think coconut oil has spf 10. I know you can also purchase zinc powder.

Arguably with that combination you should be abl to make your own if no tasty alternatives are found. Since I've been making my own lip stuff I've found most of the commercial stuff to taste or feel awful. Maybe burt's bees would have something?

Coconut has 2-8 SPF. Raspberry Seed 28-50 and wheat germ 30. From some of my limited research. Shea also has some SPF factor. I haven't tried any concoctions with them though. I did add a bit of zinc to one but not sure I like the texture.

This is the only lip balm I use. It is not waxy or greasy. It has a nice hydrating feeling and goes on very smooth. It is extremely soothing to dry chapped lips. It has no flavor or funky taste. (I'm a chronic lip licker/chewer.) I have a few on my desk at work, a couple in my purse and a few stashed around the house. There is also one on the night stand. Sjogren's syndrome sucks. The link says SPF 10, but the product is actually SPF 15.

http://www.niveausa.com/products/lip-care/Smoothness-Hydrating-LipCare-SPF-10

ETA: Their olive oil lip balm and their honey lip balm are nice, too. But this is my favorite specifically because there is no flavor whatsoever. Both the OO and the honey lip balms have a bit of flavor and I don't like flavored lip balms. I don't think they actually add a flavoring agent, I think it's just the olive oil and the honey coming through in the products.

Last edited:
dixiedragon - I've got a bunch of zinc oxide powder if you want some to play around with.

shunt - how much did you use when you tried it? was the texture chalky or something else unpleasant?

I make my own lip balm and lotion bars, using my regular LB recipes with coconut oil, beeswax and other natural SPF oils, then add in zinc oxide nano-particle not micronized. @ 30% per oz oils (SPF of close to 30, but hasn't been lab tested). No flavoring, and sometimes add a light mineral colorant. My daughter and her husband use it when they do marathons and love it, won't use anything else because it "doesn't run when we do". It goes on pretty white, but will blend well if rubbed in.

Some cautions - its MESSY to make and MESSY to clean up. Also, don't sell it unless you have all the government required hoo haa - claiming anything is SPF has A LOT of requirements and, someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but it may be considered a drug.

Back