Best size for a Hand Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy

Reaction score
Could you please recommend the best size for a Hand Soap?
That is; length, width and height.

Gee - that's probably going to bring up a few different answers depending on peoples preferences. I sample all sizes of course, and I find my smaller ones are not ideal. My regular square ones from the standard (pink/purple) silicone mold that fits inside the box are close to ideal but I reckon they should be a bit narrower. So I'm gonna say 9cm x 6cm by about 3cm deep.

Gee - that's probably going to bring up a few different answers depending on peoples preferences.
This. “Rubbers” can work with slivers as small as a coin, but “rollers” will need a bar that's somewhat rectangular, about half as wide as their fingers are long, and not much shorter than the palm is wide.
I personally dislike the “standard” bar size (some 3" width) like it comes out of the most common loaf moulds. They feel somehow bulky and too large in my hands.

We absolutely need a massive biometric database, to optimise bar shape. 😃😬

This. “Rubbers” can work with slivers as small as a coin, but “rollers” will need a bar that's somewhat rectangular, about half as wide as their fingers are long, and not much shorter than the palm is wide.
I personally dislike the “standard” bar size (some 3" width) like it comes out of the most common loaf moulds. They feel somehow bulky and too large in my hands.

We absolutely need a massive biometric database, to optimise bar shape. 😃😬
I think not. Some people have very interesting tastes with their soaps that may surprise others. I rather not have a standard based on hand size for those people. 🍵

Gee - that's probably going to bring up a few different answers depending on peoples preferences. I sample all sizes of course, and I find my smaller ones are not ideal. My regular square ones from the standard (pink/purple) silicone mold that fits inside the box are close to ideal but I reckon they should be a bit narrower. So I'm gonna say 9cm x 6cm by about 3cm deep.

Apologies! I should have clarified:(
I meant the best size for a guest soap or hand washing station soap- not the regular bar.

I made one size bar which was 3.625 x2.25 x 1.25 and that is what I like. I did have one exception which was an oval facial bar. I always beveled my bars so they would be easier to hold.

Almost the same size I make my regular sized bar - mine 3.5 x 2.75 x 1.125

Maybe I should think of beveling!

Do you make guest sized bars?

I meant the best size for a guest soap or hand washing station soap- not the regular bar.
2 oz. - 2.5 oz. round individual cavity molds.

Do you make guest sized bars?
Yes.
Almost the same size I make my regular sized bar - mine 3.5 x 2.75 x 1.125
You can cut your standard bar in half to make a nice size guest soap.

Also, check out @Basil 's Succulent Soaps of varying sizes that make cute guest soaps. Also Post #10 for more succulents and Post #26 to find molds. Most suppliers have a nice selection of guest soaps -- hearts, florals, themed molds, pets, etc.

Last edited:
Love all of @Zany_in_CO suggestions. In addition to her ideas, I sometimes make smallish bars using BB's "2 lb" wooden loaf with silicone liner (only seems to comfortably hold about 30 vs 32 oz, maybe that's because of the liner). After curing, the bars end up about 2" x 2 3 /4" x 7 /8 . " And though those can be quite pretty with the use of swirls or embeds, I really like the idea of individual silicone cavity molds of 2-2.5 oz as Zany recommends.

@Zany_in_CO recommended;

Also, check out @Basil 's Succulent Soaps of varying sizes that make cute guest soaps. Also Post #10 for more succulents and Post #26 to find molds. Most suppliers have a nice selection of guest soaps -- hearts, florals, themed molds, pets, etc.

Thanks for the post. I'm checking it out:)

@Nona'sFarm said,

"After curing, the bars end up about 2" x 2 3 /4" x 7 /8 . "

I just re-sized a curing regular bar to Nona'sfarm size recommendation. It's got a pretty good feel in the hands:)
Will be great at the sink and also good size for travel.

Thank you!

[QUOTE="Zany_in_CO, post: 925735, member: 22120"

[/QUOTE]
Thank you Zany. Yes I think they have worked out for guest soaps ! I’ve had several guests from the wedding reach out to see if I could make them more. I think I’m ready to do it again too . It is a process because I didn’t want to buy a lot of the molds.

If I have leftover batter it goes into individual molds of whatever is closest. Most of my individual silicone molds holds 2-2.5ozs. They are the perfect size for me to keep at the sink.
ME TOO! I do the same thing! I'm drawn to those smaller round bars that sit at the kitchen sink, ready for testing. ;):thumbs:

Latest posts

Back