Quantcast

Best simple EO combos for a "manly" scent?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

rparrny

Reaction score
I want to make some soaps for the favorite men in my life...up till now it's been eucalyptus or nothing. As an herbalist I am a shameless EO snob so FO's are out. I really want to try something different in a combo but till recently my EOs were used medicinally....now I want more of an aroma therapy gig for a guy.
I know there are aroma therapy combos for sale but I want to use what I have...and I have A LOT of different oils (okay, maybe EO snob wasn't really accurate...more like EO SLUT!):oops:
Any suggestions?

Dorymae

Reaction score
Try equal amounts of coriander, cedar wood, and sandlewood, then take 1/2 the amount of lavender and 1/4 the amount of frankincense. This makes a nice manly scent.

So if your using drops you'd go:

20 drops each of the first three, then 10 drops of lavender, and 5 drops of frankincense.

Another I like is equal portions of pine, cedar wood and sandlewood.

Last edited:

Cindy2428

Reaction score
Bay and lime and if you would like a little extra spice a tiny amount of black pepper oil

rparrny

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies! The old spice scent brings back memories of buying it for my dad for the holidays...gotta try that one, thank you!

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Orange and Patchouli is popular with guys who like patch

Ive been playing with a fresh minty scent that seems popular:
Fir 15%
Rosemary 9%
Eucalyptus 27%
peppermint 18%
spearmint 32%

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So many possibilities! I second Seawolfe's recommendations and have a few more.

Lavender/Patchouli
Spruce/Cedarwood
Sandalwood/Patchouli/Palmarosa
Lemon/Rosemary/Cedarwood

boyago

Reaction score
My very favorite masculine blend I have smelled so far is the blend kchaystack used in the alternative liquid swap. It was a cedar/lavender FO blend with peppermint EO. He did us a FO for the cedar/lavender blend but I'm sure you could get similar results with EOs.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My very favorite masculine blend I have smelled so far is the blend kchaystack used in the alternative liquid swap. It was a cedar/lavender FO blend with peppermint EO. He did us a FO for the cedar/lavender blend but I'm sure you could get similar results with EOs.
Thanks. Just remember to keep the peppermint ratio low to stay under the usage rate. No need to irritate anything sensitive.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I use sandalwood fragrance oil instead of essential oil.

amd

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting your Sandalwood EO that isn't a bazzilion dollars an oz?
Amyris eo is also very close to sandalwood (in fact sometimes it is called western sandalwood) that said I haven't smelled it for myself to compare but I do have it in my shopping cart at NDA and it is very very inexpensive.

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mix of orange, tangerine and spearmint EOs and it has been a hit. (Which is good, since I made 5# of that soap!). I did the rates at 2:2:1. The spearmint is just strong enough to smell without overpowering the citrus and the citrus is strong enough to be refreshing, but not too sweet. Overall, I think it's a good combination. It's popular with both men and women.

Edit: Apparently "citrus mint" is popular. I just checked into the Holiday Inn, Greenbelt, MD and found this. Gotta admit, mine smells a WHOLE lot better, though. However, I guess you can't go wrong with a good quality citrus mint.

image.jpg

Last edited:

rparrny

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting your Sandalwood EO that isn't a bazzilion dollars an oz?
Right now Essential Depot has a sale on essential oils in 1 kg containers 50% off with free shipping!
I spent WAY too much...just keep telling myself I can deduct it has my hobby expenses next year...

rparrny

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I was expecting one or two suggestions...now I have an entire recipe box full!!
The problem will be which one do I try next?:problem:

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
IMO, the scent of amyris does not compare to East Indian sandalwood EO.

Latest posts