Best simple cold process soap design technique for a first time artesian soap maker?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are going through what we all have been through. "Soapmaking how hard can it be? That looks simple anyone could do that!"
You are obviously hard-headed and stubborn and learn things the hard way šŸ˜‚
As long as you can afford to waste a bunch of money (Soapmaking is expensive!) And don't mind wasting ingredients you will eventually learn.
You are finding how soap can humble you real quick. Hopefully you are developing an appreciation for those that do it well and start to listen to sage advice.

Well, I got it made, I can say that at least. But it was a complete failure. I was going to do a "one pot swirl" or "one pot wonder", but against good advice I did add fragrance, and when I added that and sodium lactate and the colors my soap went from what I think was a "heavy emulsion" - it was not trace yet but not far from it probably - to the consistency of play-dough in like 13 seconds, not sure if it was the fragrance, the sodium lactate or the colors that did it, or all three. But wow. So I ended up just making a 3-color soap and mashing the 3 colors in the slab one at a time. Dear lord.

Well, I'll post more details or the recipe and exactly what I did, and pictures of the monstrosity, in the next day or so.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

That doesn't sound like a *complete* failure. You made soap, you got it in the mould, it's multiple colours and scented.

As others have said, the rapid thickening was most likely your fragrance oil. Why not try again soon without fragrance and see if we're right about that?

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is the video that first made me think to myself "Hey! I could [eventually] do this!" and that is what started me in the learning process.

I just bookmarked this! Thank you. I've never seen this design, and that soaper just cracked me up!
What is SUI? āš  šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚.
Uh, Shopping Under the Influence, duh! šŸ˜‰

I'm a newbie as well and titanium dioxide (a lot of) mixed with alcohol accelerated my first batch of cold process (which was a cpop). I'm mixing with oil now and so far so good!

So, here is a picture I snapped last night. It actually came out better than I expected given how poorly the process went with the soap turning so hard on me and me having to stuff it in the mold by hand. Its like I was BORN to soap!!!! :)

The 3 on the bottom right were just extra I had left over after I filled up that big bread-like mold, I stuffed the leftovers randomly in some solo-molds. If you look at the far bottom right one, in the middle of the bar, were it came out all smooth, I REALLY like the look of that. It might have all looked somewhat (smooth) like that if things had not hardened up on me I suppose.

I'll post hopefully tonight in detail the ingredients and my process, along with like a MILLION questions I have having been through this. :)

Thanks everyone!

soap.jpg

I'ts like I was BORN to soap!!!! :)

I'll post hopefully tonight in detail the ingredients and my process, along with like a MILLION questions I have having been through this. :)

Respectfully, while it looks pretty, you haven't tried the soap yet. You don't yet know how well it works, or if it's even safe. One soap does not a soaper make. Hubris and lye are not a good combination. It also doesn't endear you to the soaping community, who may not be as eager to answer your questions now since you have repeatedly blown off previous advice. Learning a new craft requires humility and appreciation. Keep in mind that most advice you receive had a cost to the giver - in time (studying the craft) and in materials (whether the soap turned out well or was a failure).

Hope

Respectfully, while it looks pretty, you haven't tried the soap yet. You don't yet know how well it works, or if it's even safe. One soap does not a soaper make. Hubris and lye are not a good combination. It also doesn't endear you to the soaping community, who may not be as eager to answer your questions now since you have repeatedly blown off previous advice. Learning a new craft requires humility and appreciation. Keep in mind that most advice you receive had a cost to the giver - in time (studying the craft) and in materials (whether the soap turned out well or was a failure).

Hope

That was sarcasm...

I think your soap looks really nice, all things considered! I think maybe more people would understand your sarcasm with different emojis. Maybe the upside-down smiley šŸ™ƒ Or one of these guys: šŸ˜šŸ˜‹.

What's next on your soaping agenda?

Thank you!!! Take 392 showers a day so I can use it all up to justify making some more. :)

Back