Best simple cold process soap design technique for a first time artesian soap maker?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow, I figured those were crummy, they were too cheap.

So does anyone know what the "Cadillac" of soap colors are, ones that will work with cold process with minimal issues? The creme-de-la-creme? The mero mero?

As no one has responded to this question, I'll give you some recommendations for soap colorants. First, let me recommend a good video on color mixing based on types of colorants that you can purchase:

Some good sources of quality colorants to use in CP & HP soapmaking include:

https://nurturesoap.com/collections/soap-colorantshttps://micasandmore.com/https://www.madmicas.com/https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-by-product/ingredients/colorants/micas
There are others I have used, as well:

https://www.rusticescentuals.com/soap-making-supplies/soap-colors/micas-oxides-and-pigments.aspx
A place I plan to use, but have not as yet (just haven't got around to it yet, but they do have something else I want, so may give it a go soon):

https://tkbtrading.com/collections/soap-making
Others here have shared other reputable sources for soapmaking colorants in many areas on the forum, (we are an international community, so some may not be viable options due to higher shipping costs internationally) so you are bound to find other recommendations as you read through the forums. Amazon may be great for many things, (even some reputable soap supply companies also sell on Amazon) but buying soap colorants from Amazon to use in LYE soap, doesn't seem to work out well for anyone who has posted here on these forums, so I would never recommend buying colorants on Amazon.

Good luck with your first soap. And welcome to the adventure of soapmaking.

Just to share some experience: As a beginner, I used some weird colorants, some work in lye soap and some just plain don't work at all. Some food coloring does color and some fades to nothing (I really couldn't tell you which, so don't ask, as I truly do not remember). Some micas work in lye soap and some fades to nothing (I tried cheap eye shadow a time or two). I learned by trial and error that if I want color to last in soap to accept that I could rely on reputable soap suppliers, like the ones I listed above and read the reviews and look at the photos of how the colorants look when used in CP soap (a really nice feature of some soap suppliers) or I could take my changes and experiment. And when experimenting, I had to realize that things may not turn out as I hoped if I chose to use a colorant not from a reputable supplier.

I think there is nothing wrong with plunging ahead and trying something. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. You can always learn in reverse. If you totally fail you can always try something simpler, but hey! maybe you will succeed! As long as you zap test and "failures" what can go wrong?

I would second the recommendations of Mad micas, TKB and Nurture soap. I don't have any experience with the other companies that @earlene suggested, but I'm sure they are great too.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton earlene, and you as well MellonFriend! I need to study your posts and the various sources more, but I note off hand that the girl in those videos I posted mentioned in one of her videos that her colors she got from Nuture soap, so I'll probably order some from there as a starting point since you both mentioned them as well. Thanks!!!

Nurture is my favorite supplier. The others recommended are also very reliable. The videos you posted were made by Teri Endsley of Tree Marie Soapworks. Please understand that she is a very talented soap maker. While the One Pot Wonder and Line Pour shown in her videos are not overly difficult techniques for someone with a fair amount of experience (ie, recognizing emulsion is key) it isn't a technique that I would recommend for the first time out. I know you are excited to try swirling - start with an In the Pot swirl. It's much more forgiving. If you do decide to go ahead with the One Pot Wonder, have Plan B ready. Nobody is trying to discourage you here. We just know a few things about diving in too deep. The One Pot Wonder technique was a SMF Challenge a few months ago. You might find the threads for that interesting.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-may-2021-challenge-one-pot-wonder.83902/https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/may-2021-challenge-entry-thread-one-pot-wonder-opw.84080/

Thank you dibbles! Oh I'm all ears, I'm looking for the easiest starter one possible and I will for sure screw it up! So a "pot swirl" - is there and favorite video of yours showing this? I found this one:

It looks very similar to the "one pot wonder", in that you put all your colors in one pot. The one pot wonder looks like it is just more particular with color placement, you try and put them in concentric circles in your pitcher, whereas the pot swirl looks like its just more randomized. Does that sound about right? I'll check out those threads as well.

Thanks!

It looks like you won that contest dibbles, congrats. :) Some real nice soap in there!!!

From one of my favorite soapmakers:
(just leave out the layer on the bottom - it will just add another whole set of learnings for your first batch)

You can stir your colors in the pot ONCE or twice around, but you don't need to. It's a very forgiving technique, and was what I chose for my first swirl.

And thank you!

Thank you MellonFriend, but I am going all in. Balls to the wall. I have no time to waste on going slow. But I appreciate your concern. If you have any suggestions besides that please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

CHEW CHEW!!!!! Chugga chugga chugga chugga CHEW CHEW!!!! All aboard the soap making train!!! CHEW CHEW!!!!

You were given some really good advice here, and it answered your question, yet you responded really rudely. MF at least deserves an apology. If you are going to just disregard people's good advice either don't ask for it, or at the very least don't be rude to people. Alcohol is no excuse for poor behaviour.

Good luck with your soap.

You were given some really good advice here, and it answered your question, yet you responded really rudely. MF at least deserves an apology. If you are going to just disregard people's good advice either don't ask for it, or at the very least don't be rude to people. Alcohol is no excuse for poor behaviour.

Good luck with your soap.
Oh no, it's okay. I don't require an apology. I did not take offense at Saltynuts comments. I did not take her response as rude at all. It's hard to get intention out of only words when we cannot hear each others' intonation (that's why emojis are so important), so I really don't think Saltynuts meant to be as rude as she came across.

Well then you'd be wrong.

But, full disclosure, I was drinking when I wrote that last night and watching videos of people making these awesome looking soaps, so I was fired up a bit. :)
LMAO!! So, whatever you do, do not SUI, that is shop soap vendors under the influence, er, um, yeah, just passing along some advice I've heard....

If don’t have a problem if beginners want to jump into the higher levels of soap making….as long as they learn and follow safety procedures.

Thing is, even if successful with the jumping, a person always ends up having to backtrack and hit those basic skills anyway. Baby steps are NOT just for children, they are a vital part of any learning process.

To the OP: I’ve used those molds for many years and still keep a couple around. The newer silicone inserts tend to bow in the middle and affect the shape of the center bars. I suggest using some plastic strapping tape to tape the center areas to the outside of wood. The soap batter won’t hurt it. (Like the clear 3M mailing tape)

Thank you dibbles! Oh I'm all ears, I'm looking for the easiest starter one possible and I will for sure screw it up! So a "pot swirl" - is there and favorite video of yours showing this? I found this one:

It looks like you won that contest dibbles, congrats. :) Some real nice soap in there!!!

I actually find the tone of voice really patronising in that video - like I’m a baby learning to make soap :rolleyes:

It looks very similar to the "one pot wonder", in that you put all your colors in one pot. The one pot wonder looks like it is just more particular with color placement, you try and put them in concentric circles in your pitcher, whereas the pot swirl looks like its just more randomized. Does that sound about right? I'll check out those threads as well.

Thanks!

You in the bottle again? No one is being rude to you. You are outraged that a lot of us doubt that you can pull it off. Most people here are trying to save you time money and frustration. I wouldn't try and I have been soaping for years.
Go ahead and learn backwards. I would love to see the results!

Thanks a ton earlene, and you as well MellonFriend! I need to study your posts and the various sources more, but I note off hand that the girl in those videos I posted mentioned in one of her videos that her colors she got from Nuture soap, so I'll probably order some from there as a starting point since you both mentioned them as well. Thanks!!!

While at Nurture Soaps, you might also get a jug of their soap mix, or at least look at their formula, as it's been designed to be slow moving for making designs. It helps to know how your particular formula moves, something that either takes previous experience with the formula or enough knowledge for a good guess. In addition, it takes 2-3 times longer to do all the steps in soaping when first beginning. Rarely does anyone actually make what they intended for their first few soaps. You'll see for yourself. Good luck.

Hope

??? There is no trolling, I am seriously wanting to try a technique, I will post pictures here when I do. Why would anyone say such a thing?

Because on one hand you say you want help as a beginner soap maker, then ignore all the advice 'cuz you are going to do whatever the heck you want. Flat out, you are a danger. Your deliberate and willful ignorance, the whole "Balls to the wall. I have no time to waste on going slow", could injure someone. And then what, you going to brush that off too because you'd been drinking?

Oh no, it's okay. I don't require an apology. I did not take offense at Saltynuts comments. I did not take her response as rude at all. It's hard to get intention out of only words when we cannot hear each others' intonation (that's why emojis are so important), so I really don't think Saltynuts meant to be as rude as she came across.

Thanks MellonFriend, I was indeed just trying to be funny, like I was crazed with soap creating desire and wasn't going to listen to your good advice. Guess few if any found it funny. But thank you for the advice and not being offended, and apologies if it came off bad!

Hoping to take my stab either tonight or tomorrow, will post pictures. It will be bad, I can assure everyone. :)

You might want to make a castile soap then with just olive oil to make sure it is slow moving. Don't water discount and soap at around 90 degrees. Just be sure to add sodium lactate to the lye water so you don't have to wait weeks to unmold it. I would recommend a hanger swirl as being pretty forgiving if your soap starts to thicken. Good luck.

Thank you Sarouche! Olive oil, check, I think I'll do just that. So for the amount of water, what calculator do you use? Because I mentioned in another thread soapcalc.net gives me a very big difference in the amount of water to use versus the brambleberry calculator (the brambleberry one tells me to use a lot more, I am just using their default calculations by the way).

Sodium lactate, check I got that tip from my main girl Tere at Tree Marie Soapworks, had some show up just yesterday!

Hanger swirl I need to check out, will do so.

Thanks!!!

Back