Best scent to rebatch using scraps from different batches?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna281

Reaction score
Hello!

I would love some help. I have some old soap sitting around that's not selling and frankly not good enough to give as gifts. I want to re-batch but the issue is that the scraps are all from different batches and initial scents. Is there a particular scent that would over power any old scents to bring all of the scraps together in a rebatch? I would love any suggestions! Note, these are all CP soaps.

Happy Soaping!

I rebatch my soap bevels into a mechanics soap (I add fine ground pumice) and use WSP's Blood Orange FO, which seems to cover the large variety of scents from the bevels. I'm not sure how well that FO (or a similar strong citrus) would work for you. It sounds like you have a large qty of X scent and Y scent and Z scent, rather than the small amounts of scent A, B, C, D etc that I'm using.

What I would do first (because this is what I did for my mechanic's soap) is do a small test batch without adding any new scent to see what it smells like after rebatch. Some scents will hold through a rebatch, so that is what you would need to overpower with the new added scent. See what the test batch smells most like and then find a new scent that smells similar to that so they don't compete with each other. For example, if the test batch of soap smells like chocolate and cinnamon, I would find a fragrance that also has chocolate and cinnamon notes. If it smells woodsy, find a woodsy scent. You can always chunk up your test batch to add back into the new rebatched soap so it doesn't go to waste.

Hello!

I would love some help. I have some old soap sitting around that's not selling and frankly not good enough to give as gifts. I want to re-batch but the issue is that the scraps are all from different batches and initial scents. Is there a particular scent that would over power any old scents to bring all of the scraps together in a rebatch? I would love any suggestions! Note, these are all CP soaps.

Happy Soaping!

Then just toss them or use for yourself. You don't say WHY they are not good, but if not good then toss.

Assuming they are safe, i'd put them in a "free to a good home" box at work. That's what I do with my uglies.

But if you are just dying to rebatch, I would separate them into a few separate categories and go from there. For example, group your florals, or maybe fruits and florals. Not baking fruits (apple pie, etc) but straight up fruits, or fruit smells you think would be good with florals. For example, blackberry sage or apple mint would probably be nice mixed in your florals.

Bay Rum blends well with almost everything, and covers a multitude of sins. But it does discolor!

Since this is your ONLY posting and we know nothing about you, toss them.
You can't rebatch them to sell so why bother. That is a LOT of work shredding bars just for them to sit around again

You don't have to necessarily shred them, you can just chunk them up with a knife (much faster) and rebatch from there. My rebatched soap ends up with large chunks of soap - I tend to throw any soap scraps into my rebatch bucket for later use because I have problems throwing soap away.... I think my soap turns gray because I use a lot of blues and greens (rather than the brown that I usually see other people get when they rebatch soap), and I don't melt it all the way through, so it ends up with a nice stone look:
upload_2019-12-27_9-3-59.png

Back