Best place to buy pure essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meg12!

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm currently looking at Plant Therapy and New Directions Aromatics. NDA seems VERY affordable compared to previous places I've purchased, they do get good reviews, and they claim everything is pure. Has anyone purchased from them?

I'm not only wanting to use them in soap but also in diffuser blends. I want everything as pure as possible!

Any other company suggestions would be appreciated as well!

I love NDA! Their quality is high, and their prices are quite reasonable.

And don't believe all the hype from the MLM and the brands that cater to users of small bottles. There are only so many essential oil suppliers in the world, and all the quality resellers buy from those same places. Every EO I've gotten from NDA, Camden Grey, Brambleberry, etc., has been as good or better than anything from those more expensive places that sell tiny bottles with lots of hoo-haa about their "therapeutic grade" oils.

BTW, did you know that's a completely made-up marketing term (therapeutic grade) which has no regulation or standard definition?

I love NDA! Their quality is high, and their prices are quite reasonable.

And don't believe all the hype from the MLM and the brands that cater to users of small bottles. There are only so many essential oil suppliers in the world, and all the quality resellers buy from those same places. Every EO I've gotten from NDA, Camden Grey, Brambleberry, etc., has been as good or better than anything from those more expensive places that sell tiny bottles with lots of hoo-haa about their "therapeutic grade" oils.

BTW, did you know that's a completely made-up marketing term (therapeutic grade) which has no regulation or standard definition?
I just learned that today! And I'm definitely glad I looked it up before buying from someone claiming that. I'm glad to hear about NDA, they looked like they had a great selection and we're quite affordable!

I usually source my oils from New Direction Aromatics (NDA), Bulk Apothecary.
I love New Directions quality and the prices are also good. I have heard some good reviews about Eden Botanicals too but I haven't personally purchased from them yet.
I recently saw some good deals at Walmart, has anyone tried their oils?

I usually source my oils from New Direction Aromatics (NDA), Bulk Apothecary.
I love New Directions quality and the prices are also good. I have heard some good reviews about Eden Botanicals too but I haven't personally purchased from them yet.
I would be very wary of anything at Walmart. Unless they are from a known and trusted brand, the EOs are likely to be quite adulterated, making them unsuitable both for diffusing and for making soap or other body care products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very wary of anything at Walmart. Unless they are from a known and trusted brand, the EOs are likely to be adulterated, making them unsuitable both for diffusing and for making soap or other body care products.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

Adulterated EOs and FOs

To avoid disappoint, and waste, buy only from reliable suppliers that service the DIY Bath & Body community. Also, avoid multi-level sales groups like Doterra and Young Living that are far more expensive than what we buy from our favorite B & B suppliers at a more reasonable cost.

That's not to say you can't purchase locally from Walmart, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc.. I used some of those early in my journey. Just be aware that you may not get what you think you paid for.

Last edited:
I would be very wary of anything at Walmart. Unless they are from a known and trusted brand, the EOs are likely to be quite adulterated, making them unsuitable both for diffusing and for making soap or other body care products.
Noted! Thank you for clearing my doubt.

I just checked them out. I can't speak for the other brands they carry, but Walmart carries highly recommended Plant Therapy EOs. WOO HOO! It's definitely worth trying the set of 6 (10 ml) for relatively little cost. Then go from there for the larger sizes, 30 ml/1 oz, 100 ml 3.5 oz.

When I order from them online, I spend $35 (or more) at a time to get free delivery. Sometimes my order arrives the same day if my local Walmart has it in stock. Sometimes I wait a week or 2 for other items. They are actually pretty good when it comes to customer service.

Last edited:
I just checked them out. I can't speak for the other brands they carry, but Walmart carries highly recommended Plant Therapy EOs. WOO HOO! It's definitely worth trying the set of 6 (10 ml) for relatively little cost. Then go from there for the larger sizes, 30 ml/1 oz, 100 ml 3.5 oz.

When I order from them online, I spend $35 (or more) at a time to get free delivery. Sometimes my order arrives the same day if my local Walmart has it in stock. Sometimes I wait a week or 2 for other items. They are actually pretty good when it comes to customer service.
You have to be careful though - there are independent vendors selling through Walmart that Walmart takes no responsibility for. I found this out the hard way when I bought a car seat that ended up being broken. I returned it, but then the vendor would not give a refund and I ended up going through my credit card company to get my money back.. It was a pain. Walmart took zero responsibility for it. Similar to EBay you really are on your own.

Back