Quantcast

Best place to buy Lye?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SilverMaple

Reaction score
I haven't purchased lye for a couple of years-- I lucked out and found a great sale and bought a bunch at once. However, I'm now getting low and need more, and was wondering where the best online place to buy was. I looked at 8 pounds from a supplier I've used in the past and they wanted more than the cost of the product to ship it.

Any suggestions?

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Either the Lye Guy or Essential Depot is where I've purchased it. I can also get it from a suppler locally to me but it comes in a big bag.

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ace Hardware if you have one close by. 100% lye drain opener is still available.

In some places you have to let them know you are a soaper and not a doper though. It seems that there are people out there that use lye to make meth.:evil:
:evil:

cgsample

Reaction score
Recently took this journey and found Essential Depot slightly beat out the Lye Guy in shipping to TX. Every other on-line place I looked at was unreasonable.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use ED also. I am a hobby soaper, though, so I don't buy much at the time.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does The Lye Guy only do shipping? I really want an excuse to go up to Syracuse, even though it's risky this time of year.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
Does anyone order Lye from Amazon, and if so, what brand do you get?

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Amazon - a store called Molly's products (I've ordered it twice) about 4 dollars a pound.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Amazon - a store called Molly's products (I've ordered it twice) about 4 dollars a pound.
I was about to say "NO WAY" until I saw how much lye you were getting. I can't argue with it, that's a great deal.

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 5 pounds at a time - it has shipped sooner than the time frame they listed and comes in a sturdy plastic bottle with handle on top and small pour spout. Seems to be excellent quality, pure white with no debris, dissolves quickly, sorry but I don't know the purity level. I did have to keep a clothes softener sheet on hand because there was static during pouring.