Best mold for GM

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusDin

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie and I've just been lurking for the past couple of weeks, soaking up all the great info available here. You all are great and I've learned so much! I only have 2 batches CP under my belt, but I can already tell this is going to be a near obsession for me.

Anyway my question is about molds....I've only done GM so far, and most of what I will do in the near future will be GM (I have dairy goats and froze GALLONS of milk in anticipation of soapmaking). I've been using single cavity molds but I'm not thrilled with that. I'd like to get more of a production mold of some sort. Do I need to stick with a slab mold with GM soap to minimize volume to aid in avoiding gelling? If so, does anybody have any suggestions/opinions/experience that they want to share on what mold or brand in particular I should consider?

You can use a log loaf mold. To avoid gelling you can chill a heavy wood mold in the freezer prior to pouring the soap, and then after pouring stick the soap into the fridge or freezer for 24 hours.

I like using my slab mold for milk soaps. At least i dont have to worry about partial gel with that mold.

I'll probably try the log mold, just afraid I'll get a partial gel in the center and the soaps will be sort of wonky looking after I cut. My MIL always gives me money for Christmas so I think I'm in the market for both a slab mold and a log mold. I'd like to think I could go with something I don't have to line...any suggestions on your favorites? I noticed Essential Depot has an awesome sale on their silicone loaf molds right now....any input from anyone? Any favorite slab mold?

You could try a freestanding silicone mold which dissipates the heat faster than wood. BB and WSP carry them.

I use 5lb wood loaf/log molds with the slide out base and removable silicone liners from Brambleberry. I have been very happy with them and LOVE not having to line my molds anymore. My experiences with goats milk soap: cpop works great, I've had no problems overheating, cp insulated with cardboard box or wool blanket also works great. Been using those techniques for years. Wanted to try to prevent gel...not sure why...so refrigerated the cp soap for 5 hours and ended up with a classic partial gel. So for my recipe, it stays on the counter or in a warm oven. If I were to try and prevent gel again I would definitely leave it in the fridge overnight or go for the freezer. Now if I only had a source for fresh GM!

I think it's just for the potential for over heating, I soap at around 100F or a tad cooler for milk, and haven't had any problems but every recipe is different so experiment and see what works for you.

I usually avoid gell (soap at cool temps and put my poured mold in the freezer/fridge 24 hrs) but that's just my preference. Like Judymoody said, WSP or BB silicone molds work great and dont need a wooden mold.

Latest posts

Back