Best methods for making speckles or "complex" coloring in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anika

Reaction score
I've used various clays which seem to evenly color the soap. I've also tried poppy seeds which do a FANTASTIC job of making little black dots. It would look great in a kiwi soap. But what options are there for lighter speckles? I read that rosehip powder makes like red speckles.

How would you get this look?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61nAWju48TL._SY355_.jpg

Does anyone know of a link to a "speckle resource database"? Lol please tell me that exists.

Do you not have the link to the amazon listing itself. I would think it would list the ingredients. I've had coarser oatmeal in soap look sort of like this. Really though, many botanicals can leave little speckles. A lot turn brown. I think of french soap and my mind goes immediately to lavender.

Do you not have the link to the amazon listing itself. I would think it would list the ingredients. I've had coarser oatmeal in soap look sort of like this. Really though, many botanicals can leave little speckles. A lot turn brown. I think of french soap and my mind goes immediately to lavender.

Ah, you're right. I got that pic from Google. I didn't even think to check the ingredients. It says it contains verbena leaf, which a quick search shows that it creates marks like that.

Adding sea salt to a dark soap will give a dappled look.

20180902_093437_HDR.jpg

Just remember that for some people it can make it scratchy. Usually things that leave a speckled look are 'bits' so sensitive people have issues with this. Just make sure to note it on the package

I've seen photos of a soap with added banana in it. It had lovely brown flecks in from the banana seed. Also, I bought some vanilla paste and think that would also work with making specks in the soap. I still haven't used either yet but they are on my list of things to try just for the lovely speckles.

How about other soap? I bevel my soap and then use the bevels in other soaps. If I stick blend the bevels in the oils then there are small soap bits that still show up in the soap. My lemongrass soap is colored yellow yet there are still small dots of blue/green/brown from the bevels. I like the effect. The fresher the bevels and the more contrasting the colors the more they show as a dot of color rather than a soap embed.

Yes, you can absolutely use bits of soap. We call that confetti soap. My personal preference is a mix of larger and smaller pieces. You can use a salad shooter to shred them - I tend to find them at thrift stores for $5 or so. Not always, so that's why I pick them up when I see them cheap, I have 2 in reserve right now. You can also grate your soap by hand (wear gloves) or use your food processor. I don't want to risk ruining the food processor's motor, which is why I like the salad shooter. You can use ground spices, but t hose will have a bit of scratch to them. I don't mind it, but some people don't like it. You can also use red sandalwood powder. It's from a plant in Australia, not the endangered/protected Indian sandalwood.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Red-Sa...MI9cDq1qTA3gIVC0sNCh3M3wwJEAQYASABEgJdiPD_BwE

You could also just scroll down Brambleberry's list of botanicals to see pictures of their performance in soap:
https://www.brambleberry.com/Herbs-and-Botanicals-C37.aspx

Hand-stirring a tbsp. ppo of Dead Sea Mud into your batter with a light hand right before pouring into your mold lends some nice speckles without scratchiness (soap is on the left, granite is on the right):

IMG_4830DeadSeaMudSoap640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Many spices you can add to soap will give a similar look, if not infused in oil first, and sometimes even when infused in oil. Dried spinach leaves as well as many other dried herbs will give the same look. Depending on how sparing you are with the dried leaves or spices, the amount of speckles can vary. I have got similar looks with dried powders like alfalfa leaf, and several others as well. As mentioned, some are scratchy and I find that over time as the soap ages, the scratchiness increases quite a lot. I conclude the increased scratchiness is due to increased water loss as the soap gets older.

Poppy seeds ran through a coffee grinder makes really pretty small black specks. Looks very similar to black pepper.

Latest posts

Back