Quantcast

best for teenage acne........

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

beadella

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Location
Sebring, Florida
Hi all,

Just a quick question about skin...............what have you found to be the ABSOLUTE best oils, additives, EO's, etc for teenage acne sufferers?? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I am planning on doing a soap or maybe some kind of facial cleansing creme for the son of a friend of mine, so any general suggestions on whether or not to do as a soap would also be helpful. Also, other than skin benefits, any scents that seem to appeal to teenage boys 8) would be appreciated as well.

thanx oodles,

Della :D
 
G

Guest

I used Lavender, Rosemary, and Tea Tree EOs for a facial soap as well as comfery infused olive oil.
 

Laurie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
393
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Clay would be nice because it draws impurities out of the skin. About 1 tbsp p/p.
 

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
16,888
Reaction score
10,621
Location
Right here, silly!
You can also try using activated charcoal in your soap. I recently gave a couple of bars of an experimental charcoal batch I had made to the son of a friend of mine, and my friend just e-mailed me a few days ago to say it was a hit and that they'd like more. I used 1 teaspoon ppo of finely powdered activated charcoal from the healthfood store (made by Nature's Way Herbs) to a 100% coconut oil batch with a 15% superfat. The activated charcoal came in capsules, which I opened by snipping a bit off the tip with scissors, and it took 5 capsules to equal 1 teaspoon. HTH! :)


IrishLass
 

SoapyGal

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
180
Reaction score
1
Location
Iowa
IrishLass said:
You can also try using activated charcoal in your soap. I recently gave a couple of bars of an experimental charcoal batch I had made to the son of a friend of mine, and my friend just e-mailed me a few days ago to say it was a hit and that they'd like more. I used 1 teaspoon ppo of finely powdered activated charcoal from the healthfood store (made by Nature's Way Herbs) to a 100% coconut oil batch with a 15% superfat. The activated charcoal came in capsules, which I opened by snipping a bit off the tip with scissors, and it took 5 capsules to equal 1 teaspoon. HTH! :)


IrishLass
Irish ~

Would you mind explaining the process of how to make this soap? Like when do you add the charcoal? And do you gel or not?

My daughter is struggling with 14-year old type acne, and nothing over the counter helps, only makes it worse, or adds additional problems such as over drying. I want to make some for her, but being a total newbie, this is over my head!! :lol:

Thanks for the help ! :)
 
G

Guest

SoapyGal said:
My daughter is struggling with 14-year old type acne, and nothing over the counter helps, only makes it worse, or adds additional problems such as over drying. I want to make some for her, but being a total newbie, this is over my head!! :lol:
Another great justification for being in the hobby. :)
 

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
16,888
Reaction score
10,621
Location
Right here, silly!
SoapyGal,

I added the charcoal to my oil amount and stickblended in real well before adding my lye/water to it. I also gelled--- whether I wanted to or not! :lol: My 100% coconut soaps always gel no matter what I do. It's just one of those givens in soaping life. HTH! :)



IrishLass
 

CandlingNan

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Irishlass

Would that also work with mature skin that suffers with acne on arms, shoulders and top of back please.

Yes I want to know coz its me that suffers from Mature Acne or thats what the doc called it.

Thank you
 

digit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
3
CandlingNan said:
Yes I want to know coz its me that suffers from Mature Acne or thats what the doc called it.

Thank you
I am with you here, Nan. Still waiting to "grow out of it". :lol: Now a days, I just think of it as what keeps me looking younger.

Digit
 
G

Guest

The only thing that ever helped me was rubbing my face with ANY kind of handmade soap (except for citrus) and then applying 70% rubbing alchahol and straight EO's directly to my face. I also eliminated sugar (including artificial sweeteners) and processed food from my diet. Heck, I lost about 15 pounds too... :wink:
 

beadella

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Location
Sebring, Florida
Thanx oodles for all the great suggestions, everyone!! :D Does anyone else have any ideas about that cool teenage boy scent?? 8) Will definatly try that first idea, but would love some others to chime in with some alternatives....................... :D

tootles,

Della :)
 

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
16,888
Reaction score
10,621
Location
Right here, silly!
CandlingNan said:
Irishlass

Would that also work with mature skin that suffers with acne on arms, shoulders and top of back please.

Yes I want to know coz its me that suffers from Mature Acne or thats what the doc called it.

Thank you

This being my first batch of charcoal soap ever, as well as only being used on two teenaged boy's acne at this time (albeit with good success from what they both anecdotally reported to me), I really have no idea. The most that I'd ever be willing to venture forth in reply is that old adage of, 'You never know until you try'. HTH! :)



IrishLass
 

opalgirl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
370
Reaction score
6
Location
Missouri
my acne soap recipe

Hi,
I've made an acne recipe that both my husband I like really well. Our problem is clogged pores and this soap does help.

sweet almond oil 7%
Avocado oil 3%
Coconut oil 15%
Jojoba oil 2%
Palm Kernel Flakes 10%
Olive oil 38%
Palm oil 15%
Crisco 10%

Morrocan red clay 1 Tablespoon / pound
Honey 1 Tablespoon/pound
Tea Tree Oil .5oz/pound

superfatted at 4%

run through lye calc for water and lye amounts

I didn't use any FO or colorants. The soap is a deep brick color with a tea tree oil scent.

Opalgirl
 

digit

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
3
Thank you for sharing this, Opalgirl. :D

Maybe for acne, it would be better to leave out any FO or possibly add a helpful EO such as Opalgirl puts in hers.

It is also very important to return the skin to a normal pH after using soap just like hair after shampoo bars. I use a toner of 75% distilled water and 25% witch hazel, (what ever proportions work for you) with lavender EO, geranium EO (probably too girly for young men :lol: ), and chamomile EO. Choose which EO's work best for them. The lavender really calms down redness.

And use a moisturizer. It was hard to get through my head when I whined about oily skin. But if you strip the skin of oils, it reacts by producing even more oil. :shock: After toning, I spritz my face with distilled water, put a few drops of jojoba oil in my palms, rub together, and massage into my face. It does make a difference. To me, anyway. I have heard some people say jojoba clogs their pores. Just have to try it.

Then there is the clay mask every now and then.

Digit
 

SoapyGal

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
180
Reaction score
1
Location
Iowa
IrishLass said:
SoapyGal,

I added the charcoal to my oil amount and stickblended in real well before adding my lye/water to it. I also gelled--- whether I wanted to or not! :lol: My 100% coconut soaps always gel no matter what I do. It's just one of those givens in soaping life. HTH! :)

IrishLass
Thanks Irish! How much charcoal ppo do you use? Like a tsp? :)
 

IanT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
4,699
Reaction score
56
IrishLass said:
CandlingNan said:
Irishlass

Would that also work with mature skin that suffers with acne on arms, shoulders and top of back please.

Yes I want to know coz its me that suffers from Mature Acne or thats what the doc called it.

Thank you

This being my first batch of charcoal soap ever, as well as only being used on two teenaged boy's acne at this time (albeit with good success from what they both anecdotally reported to me), I really have no idea. The most that I'd ever be willing to venture forth in reply is that old adage of, 'You never know until you try'. HTH! :)



IrishLass
Im glad this idea played out well :)

Charcoal has been used for centuries for detoxification of the systems of the body...I think on skin it has the same use and since it bonds with darn near anything (4 covalent bonding sites per carbon molescule meaning it wants to bond to molecules and change them) means it works wonders for toxins on the skin!! :) most of which cause acne!
 
Top