Best EO Brands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on EO's for a friend that gets terrible migraines. The amount of EO companies out there is astonishing! Does anyone have any suggestions on brands that are reliable and have good quality? For now I'm going to use a blend in an inhaler for her. But it would be nice if I could also use it in my soaps.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

My fav for quality organic eo is Mountain Rose Herbs. Been ordering from them since the 90s

edit... they used to have little neat blurbs from Culpepers on every oil and herb they sell. But for some reason they stopped doing that. I dunno why. Something musta happened. But if you want a neat book... buy Culpepers.

Last edited:
For quality, price, good customer service, shipping, etc. I like Sun Pure Botanicals in NM. Great price on High Altitude French Lavender which is said to help with migraines.

ETA: Since you're in Utah, MMS is near Logan and carries good quality EOs but their selection is limited. They also carry a large inventory of other supplies for soap, lotions & potions. Also a good company to do business with.

I forgot to mention, I use Eden Botanicals for information about EOs. Sun Pure Botanicals is a little lacking in that area. :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For now I'm going to use a blend in an inhaler for her.
Hi Ryan, It would be great if you could report back about your results. :) Waiting patiently...
Pacing Cat.gif

I've been doing some research on EO's for a friend that gets terrible migraines. The amount of EO companies out there is astonishing! Does anyone have any suggestions on brands that are reliable and have good quality? For now I'm going to use a blend in an inhaler for her. But it would be nice if I could also use it in my soaps.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
I've used Liberty Natural for over 20 years. Great prices and speedy delivery.
Lavender plant is great for headaches. Just twist it around after picking some fresh and sniff it constantly. It'll make you sneeze, blow your nose and relieve the headache. I make lavender Litsea soap which is quite wonderful. All natural EO's since fragrance oils are not natural and could make headache worse.

@marehare Sadly, lavender is also a headache and migraine trigger for many... my daughter, my sister-in-law, and several on this forum.

And although FOs do tend to give me headaches more than EOs, many EOs also give me bad headaches. Too much of any scent in general will give me a headache, actually.

Some EOs are known to trigger seizures. Per the epilepsy society, "Rosemary, fennel, sage, eucalyptus, hyssop, wormwood, camphor and spike lavender are not recommended as essential oils if you have epilepsy."

Other EOs are known skin sensitizers (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise) or photosensitizers (any of the citrus EOs). Most EOs are also highly processed themselves; as one of the other forum members noted, they don't just drip out of the plant into the bottles. ;)

So while I generally do prefer EOs, I can't make the blanket statement that EOs fix headaches, while FOs cause them. For me and for many others, that just isn't so.

@marehare Sadly, lavender is also a headache and migraine trigger for many... my daughter, my sister-in-law, and several on this forum.

And although FOs do tend to give me headaches more than EOs, many EOs also give me bad headaches. Too much of any scent in general will give me a headache, actually.

Some EOs are known to trigger seizures. Per the epilepsy society, "Rosemary, fennel, sage, eucalyptus, hyssop, wormwood, camphor and spike lavender are not recommended as essential oils if you have epilepsy."

Other EOs are known skin sensitizers (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, anise) or photosensitizers (any of the citrus EOs). Most EOs are also highly processed themselves; as one of the other forum members noted, they don't just drip out of the plant into the bottles. ;)

So while I generally do prefer EOs, I can't make the blanket statement that EOs fix headaches, while FOs cause them. For me and for many others, that just isn't so.

for me it's definitely yang yang! Love the scent but just opening the bottle I get a raging headache. With an N95 mask it lessens to a dull roar. ugh.

I’m going to be using this recipe I found. It may or not work for my friend, I don’t get migraines so it’s difficult for me to test. Any suggestions on the recipe?

6 drops peppermint essential oil
3 drops frankincense essential oil
3 drops lavender essential oil
3 drops chamomile essential oil

Sorry that you have had bad reactions to EO's. I guess all people react differently.
Good to know. Thank you.

Fortunately it is only some of them! :) I still have a cabinet full of EOs that I love and use regularly in soap, body butters, and my latest escapade: solid syndet shampoo bars. :)
Fortunately it is only some of them! :) I still have a cabinet full of EOs that I love and use regularly in soap, body butters, and my latest escapade: solid syndet shampoo bars. :)

Just as an update to this thread. I gave my friend the inhaler using the recipe above and she loves it! It may not "cure" her migraines but it does take the edge off. I also made one for her son with EO's to help him breathe and they also love that. I use that one myself.

Latest posts

Back