Best countertop surface for soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm creating a new work area for my soap making.

What is the best countertop surface? Formica? I've also seen some commercial grade stainless steel work tables available.

So what's the preferred countertop surface for soapmaking?
My highest priority is "Easy to clean."

Thanks!!

By far, stainless steel. Lye is extremely caustic and will burn into anything it touches. Hence why it's so often used to clear clogs from drains. Once mixed with oil, it undergoes a chemical change and becomes soap but even that will take a few minutes. So imagine accidentally tipping over a jug of lye and water or just made soap and what it will do to your countertop.

I bought a 4 foot wide stainless steel cart and I love it. Its very easy to clean if I drop anything else on it, and won't be destroyed by lye or raw soap. The only thing I wish is that it had a raised lip on it to keep any spills inside, just in case.

Cool, thanks to you all.
There are a lot of stainless steel work tables available.
I think I may get one.
I kept an eye on Craigslist, and found a nice four-footer with a bottom shelf for only $100. One of my best soap-related purchases EVER. My entire soaping process was instantly easier and less stressful, since I no longer had to cover my work surface with disposable paper each time I wanted to soap.

I purchased a remnant of Vinyl Sheet Flooring and covered my bench. I’ve spilled crystal lye on the surface and could not stop to clean it for about an hour. No damage to the surface. I have enough Vinyl Flooring to replace what’s on my bench if needed. Cost me about $20.00 US. Been soaping for 3 years and the bench top is still good.

What about marble or granite countertops? That's what I have in my kitchen.
Both are porous so they have a glaze on top that's supposed to be redone yearly to prevent things like mold, etc, from growing. Don't get me wrong, they look beautiful. I have granite counters myself. But they can be easily damaged.

Both are porous so they have a glaze on top that's supposed to be redone yearly to prevent things like mold, etc, from growing. Don't get me wrong, they look beautiful. I have granite counters myself. But they can be easily damaged.
Thank you, I appreciate the input! I am going to get some of that oilcloth I think.

Latest posts

Back