Best concentrated essential oils for HP that lasting fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARJRD

Reaction score
No matter what essential oils I use in my HP soap, the fragrance seems to diminish significantly within 2 months.
1) Does anyone have any thoughts on how to preserve the fragrance for a longer period of time?
2) I prefer using all natural ingredients - I'm not sure if any fragrance oils are considered natural?
3) Are some EOs more concentrated than others, and how can you tell?
4) What supplier(s) do you use for the best, most reasonably-priced EOs?

Thanks!
Barb R.

No matter what essential oils I use in my HP soap, the fragrance seems to diminish significantly within 2 months.
1) Does anyone have any thoughts on how to preserve the fragrance for a longer period of time?
2) I prefer using all natural ingredients - I'm not sure if any fragrance oils are considered natural?
3) Are some EOs more concentrated than others, and how can you tell?
4) What supplier(s) do you use for the best, most reasonably-priced EOs?

Thanks!
Barb R.

Just curious how much EOs are you adding to your soap?

I use 1 to 1.5 oz per 2-lb batch of hot process soap
2lbs of oil or total weight of soap? Depending on the EO, I add about 1.6 ounces to 2 lbs of oil. I do find that citrus EOs tend to fade the fastest while the herbaceous EOs hold onto their scents longer.

2lbs of oil or total weight of soap? Depending on the EO, I add about 1.6 ounces to 2 lbs of oil. I do find that citrus EOs tend to fade the fastest while the herbaceous EOs hold onto their scents longer.
Oops - I meant 2lbs oil. I'll try adding a bit more EO. Thanks!

That's why I quit using most EO's in soap. I make and sell and I need things to last. I started out wanting to use EO's now I only use a handful.

Are you blending the EO's or adding them as a single note? Most citrus EO's and even FO's do not last. Lemongrass and Litsea are the two I use.

https://www.eocalc.com is a great website for figuring out the max amount of EO you can use in different products (and find some blending inspiration).
As mentioned by others, citrus and other top notes tend to fade faster than most middle and base notes, so maybe it's not so much the quality but the type of EO you're using and if it's a well balanced blend or not.
Another thing you could do to help prevent EO fading is package the soap as soon as it is finished curing. Airflow seems to have an effect on EO scent retention.
Some people suggest using clay as an anchor, but in my experience that doesn't seem to work very well..

I've used EOs exclusively in my HP soaps since I started soaping 10 yrs ago. (I only started using some FOs this fall because there's just some scents you can't get with the EOs.)
When do you add the EO?
How do you store your soap?
I use .5 oz PPO on average, with some EOs needing more, and some less (like anise). I made some Frankincense, Myrrh, & Orange soap last fall, and the scent profile has only gotten better. I didn't much like it at first, but now the oils have melded into something wonderful!

I have found that both Palmarosa and Patchouli stick well in CP.

I agree. The few soaps I've made with orange EO all but lose their scent in a few weeks. But a batch I made with palmarosa and lime have kept their smell after more than two months. And as for patchouli, I've got a batch curing in my bedroom and the fragrance still fills the room three weeks later.

I use this site to give me an estimate on how much EOs to add.

https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/calculators/FragranceCalculator.aspx
Thanks - this will be helpful!

That's why I quit using most EO's in soap. I make and sell and I need things to last. I started out wanting to use EO's now I only use a handful.

Are you blending the EO's or adding them as a single note? Most citrus EO's and even FO's do not last. Lemongrass and Litsea are the two I use.
I usually use a single EO, because I don't want to "muddy" the fragrance.

https://www.eocalc.com is a great website for figuring out the max amount of EO you can use in different products (and find some blending inspiration).
As mentioned by others, citrus and other top notes tend to fade faster than most middle and base notes, so maybe it's not so much the quality but the type of EO you're using and if it's a well balanced blend or not.
Another thing you could do to help prevent EO fading is package the soap as soon as it is finished curing. Airflow seems to have an effect on EO scent retention.
Some people suggest using clay as an anchor, but in my experience that doesn't seem to work very well..
I always store the soap bars in an open container (covered on top with a paper towel) - I always heard that there needs to be some airflow i.e., never store in plastic

I usually use a single EO, because I don't want to "muddy" the fragrance.
One of my favorite fragrances is actually a FO - Crafter's Choice Bitter Almond from Wholesale Supplies Plus. This is one of the fragrances which seems to dissipate fastest.

I've used EOs exclusively in my HP soaps since I started soaping 10 yrs ago. (I only started using some FOs this fall because there's just some scents you can't get with the EOs.)
When do you add the EO?
How do you store your soap?
I use .5 oz PPO on average, with some EOs needing more, and some less (like anise). I made some Frankincense, Myrrh, & Orange soap last fall, and the scent profile has only gotten better. I didn't much like it at first, but now the oils have melded into something wonderful!

I add the EO in the hot process soap when it has cooled to the flashpoint of the EO

Last edited by a moderator:
Using single notes is part of your problem. They should have different notes. Though I have had straight lemongrass, lavender, and a tea tree, peppermint work just fine on their own.

Also, flashpoint only has to do with igniting point. Adding it to soap doesn't really matter. As long as it's not too hot. I add them in CP and let it gel so it gets pretty hot and have no issues.

I always store the soap bars in an open container (covered on top with a paper towel) - I always heard that there needs to be some airflow i.e., never store in plastic
During the initial cure airflow will speed up the process (the first 4-6 weeks or until the soap stops losing weight due to water evaporation), but after that I prefer to store my soaps in a closed cardboard box to minimize airflow. I don't know about plastic boxes, why is it supposed to be bad? Soap dough is made by preventing water evaporation so the soap stays soft and pliable.
Obviously for normal soap bars you'll want them to harden which is why you need some airflow the first weeks, but I don't know of a reason airflow is needed after that. I'd be curious to know why plastic containers are considered bad!

I add the EO in the hot process soap when it has cooled to the flashpoint of the EO

OK ... just wanted to see if you were adding the EO before the cook. I talked with someone this summer who thought it was strange that I added them AFTER the cook. I mix my EOs with my superfat oil(s) and it's the last thing that goes in.

After my bars are cut, I set them out to 'dry' on wire racks for no more than 2 weeks. (I also use natural colors, and the longer they're out in the light, the quicker they fade. Many colors fade faster than the scent.) Then they get placed in plastic shoe boxes with 2 layers of tissue paper between each layer of soap, and the lid popped on to finish their cure. I wrap my salt soaps individually in quality paper napkins (otherwise they can make a mess when they 'sweat'), then box them as the others. These cheap plastic shoe boxes are not air tight like plastic food containers, and they seem to store well this way for me. I've been doing it this way for years. Each scent goes in it's own box, so there's no 'muddying' of scents.

The scent shouldn't dissipate any faster just because you're using single oils. You mention you don't mix any EOs because you don't want to 'muddy' the fragrance. True, if you're going for a particular single note. On the other hand, mixing 2 essential oils in equal amounts often gives you something new with more depth. I'd encourage you to try it! When it comes to using several EOs in a blend, though, it can take years of blending before you get to the point you're getting 'nice' blends consistently. Kind of like cooking 'off the cuff'. :)

My favorite suppliers for EOs are:
1) New Directions ... good oils, good prices (sometimes REALLY good prices), reasonable shipping
2) Liberty Naturals ... awesome oils, good prices, their shipping SUCKS!!!! Which is the ONLY reason I don't order from them more often or why they're not #1 on my list! They will NOT give you a total, including the shipping costs, when you order. They decide AFTER they package your stuff up how much they're going to charge you for shipping. One year I placed an order with both ND and LN at the same time. When the orders came in, I had twice the amount of products from ND in a smaller box than LN had used! And of course, the larger the box, the more shipping costs. Very frustrating!
3) Camden Grey ... good oils, good prices on some oils, reasonable shipping ... BUT they are NOT a 'friendly' company, or so I've heard. If you never have an issue with them (I haven't), they're just fine. After reading all the horror stories about them, I check, double check, triple check, my orders before finalizing them. Then again, that's what I do anywhere I place an order. lol
I've used all 3 companies for years ... Liberty Naturals I've been using the longest, 20+ yrs.

Don't know what kind of EOs you're using, but theoretically, that could be part of your problem. If you're buying them from, say, eBay, there's lots of disreputable sellers on there that claim their EOs are pure. Sure, they're pure, but diluted, and they don't tell you that part. Just throwing that out there!

OK ... just wanted to see if you were adding the EO before the cook. I talked with someone this summer who thought it was strange that I added them AFTER the cook. I mix my EOs with my superfat oil(s) and it's the last thing that goes in.

After my bars are cut, I set them out to 'dry' on wire racks for no more than 2 weeks. (I also use natural colors, and the longer they're out in the light, the quicker they fade. Many colors fade faster than the scent.) Then they get placed in plastic shoe boxes with 2 layers of tissue paper between each layer of soap, and the lid popped on to finish their cure. I wrap my salt soaps individually in quality paper napkins (otherwise they can make a mess when they 'sweat'), then box them as the others. These cheap plastic shoe boxes are not air tight like plastic food containers, and they seem to store well this way for me. I've been doing it this way for years. Each scent goes in it's own box, so there's no 'muddying' of scents.

The scent shouldn't dissipate any faster just because you're using single oils. You mention you don't mix any EOs because you don't want to 'muddy' the fragrance. True, if you're going for a particular single note. On the other hand, mixing 2 essential oils in equal amounts often gives you something new with more depth. I'd encourage you to try it! When it comes to using several EOs in a blend, though, it can take years of blending before you get to the point you're getting 'nice' blends consistently. Kind of like cooking 'off the cuff'. :)

My favorite suppliers for EOs are:
1) New Directions ... good oils, good prices (sometimes REALLY good prices), reasonable shipping
2) Liberty Naturals ... awesome oils, good prices, their shipping SUCKS!!!! Which is the ONLY reason I don't order from them more often or why they're not #1 on my list! They will NOT give you a total, including the shipping costs, when you order. They decide AFTER they package your stuff up how much they're going to charge you for shipping. One year I placed an order with both ND and LN at the same time. When the orders came in, I had twice the amount of products from ND in a smaller box than LN had used! And of course, the larger the box, the more shipping costs. Very frustrating!
3) Camden Grey ... good oils, good prices on some oils, reasonable shipping ... BUT they are NOT a 'friendly' company, or so I've heard. If you never have an issue with them (I haven't), they're just fine. After reading all the horror stories about them, I check, double check, triple check, my orders before finalizing them. Then again, that's what I do anywhere I place an order. lol
I've used all 3 companies for years ... Liberty Naturals I've been using the longest, 20+ yrs.

Don't know what kind of EOs you're using, but theoretically, that could be part of your problem. If you're buying them from, say, eBay, there's lots of disreputable sellers on there that claim their EOs are pure. Sure, they're pure, but diluted, and they don't tell you that part. Just throwing that out there!

Thanks for all the information - I really appreciate it. Looking at New Directions now.

Latest posts

Back