Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my list of odd soap projects is a set of bars of different animal eyes. Goats have such distinctive eyes...I could definitely see a goat-eye soap bar...a big single eye, or a pattern...you could do your whole crew in one bar; eyes looking at you...

So I correctly guessed a bunch of things, but I'd like to amend some of my earlier suggestions.
Sadie: ocean, water, or woods fragrance instead of a sweet scent like blueberry
Harrison: a butterfly swirl, in honor of his lost twin
Cheerio: no changes
Jenny: no changes, she is the jazzy princess I thought she was
Cricket: textured green bottom layer, drop swirl white and black middle for more drama, with the solid black top layer with the white drizzle
Benji: royal instead of baby blue, at least. Maybe blueberry or woods for him instead of cotton.
Clara: no changes for Clara, she is the spa
Piper: hot pink instead of baby pink, maybe throw a little black drop swirl in the hot pink too. Maybe a tropical fruity fragrance instead of just apple for her teenage attitude.

Omg!! I actually love it!! I am definitely ordering the colorants for this!!!! Thank you so much! The hot pink for baby is perfect!! I love it!!!

So, for crickets soap, I want to do a layered black and white soap, but in the black, I either want some white swirled in, or some white soap shavings to represent her the white ticks in the black. (salt and pepper-ish)I think the green layer is an awesome idea! Maybe i will do some green mica on the top or a mica line on each side of the white! I would LOVE goat horn embeds for the top, but that will probably be scratched because the molds would be so hard to find. And probably a bit expensive! And I don't think I'm quite ready for soap clay! Are there any good soap clay recipes?

I have a really cute one for cheerio, I will post the picture. Now all I have to do is find a fragrance that sounds good and the colorants! I know I will be using the silver that was suggested before! I am also wondering if instead of brown in Cheerios soap, I could do gold since she is the herd queen!! But maybe not, since she will already have the silver. Or maybe the silver and gold will look like royalty! lol Idk!!

I also think I have Jennys! It is pretty much exactly what was suggested. I tried one, and you are right! It looks very much like cow print, which I WILL be doing in the future! So thanks for that!

Soap dough- batter that has mostly saponified but retained it's water content, essentially, though it does have to saponify to a handleable consistency (Castile soap might not work as well, 100% lard might harden too quickly)
I Dream in Soap on YouTube has a few videos on the topic and does quite a lot with it.
One of my favorite soap dough videos:
Sorcery Soap will give you a few more ideas of what can be done with it.
I believe any recipe with approx. 40% hard fats (stearic/palmitic fatty acids total 20-30%) and roughly a 2:1 water:lye ratio would give you soap dough. I don't remember the recipe you're currently using, you might have shared it at one point.
As far as gold Micas go, King Tut from Mad Micas is fantastic!

My recipie is

33%lard
38% olive oil
And 30% coconut oil

then roughly a 70% goat milk and 30 % lye.More like 68% liquid, but close enough LOL!
So doesn’t sound like it would work!
I will check out the other recipes!! Thanks!

My recipie is

33%lard
38% olive oil
And 30% coconut oil

then roughly a 70% goat milk and 30 % lye.More like 68% liquid, but close enough LOL!
So doesn’t sound like it would work!
I will check out the other recipes!! Thanks!
Your palmitic/stearic totals are 23%, and your liquid totals are within 5% of that 2:1 ratio, so you might not need to change much to get a good dough.

Ok, so i am going to make a small batch of soap, and with the extra, i will see if i can get it to turn into soap dough. If it doesn't work, i will try to tweak it, but i am SUPER excited for these goat soaps!! I will see how many i can get designed today, and when i get them all designed, i will put pics of them up!

1595008017961.png

So for Clara, I am thinking a color pallate similar to this. I want a bold color in there like red with the browns,to show off her curisosity and personality, and then a light color to show her more relaxed side, such as a light green. But if i do a red and a light green, it may look to christmas. What do yall think?

View attachment 47883
So for Clara, I am thinking a color pallate similar to this. I want a bold color in there like red with the browns,to show off her curisosity and personality, and then a light color to show her more relaxed side, such as a light green. But if i do a red and a light green, it may look to christmas. What do yall think?
If you keep the green light and blue enough, I think it would be perfect. If you're getting a blue for another design, you might be able to throw a tiny amount into the green to hedge your bets.
Edited to add: adding a tiny bit of brown to the red to push it towards brick not crimson might also help, depending on the red.

Last edited:
View attachment 47883
Oxides and chromium green/or hydrated chromium green would work for everything but the red. Mad mica and nurture soap have some good reds.

Okay!! This is what I have for claras soap so far!! I want it to show that underneath her skin, she has tons of personality, so that is why I put the brown on top. I decided to watercolor the design, because it is much like soap, nd the colors can get muddy, so it helps me know what u need more of (green) and what will muddy everything up (red)

so far, I absolutely love it!! Any other suggestions y’all may have are greatly appreciated!!
94CCBC7E-4DA5-4C65-ABAA-70ADD9FC5E50.jpeg

I may have to do an in the pot swirl for the top, instead of a drop, because I am pretty new to coloring soap... and I’m not extremely confident in my abilities!!

that was extremely helpful! Thanks so much! Yes, I love nurture soap! I get most of my FO there as well! And my loaf mold is from there! I will go with nurture soap! And I love getting the little gift in the package! It makes me so happy lol!

My mad micas colorants went a long way!! I was getting a vibrant color for 1 tsp color to 5 pounds soap!! It was a lighter than advertised obviously, but I’m happy with it!
I buy from Mad Micas, mostly because they are also in Florida, just about 90 minutes away, so cheap and fast shipping. But I was thinking if I was starting my collection I would opt for the Vibrance collection at Nurture. You can alter them by combining them or lighten or darken as desired with TD or AC.

Latest posts

Back