Best Chelator/anti DOS ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noted by @DeeAnna in post #37, above, you must always dissolve the powder in the water before adding the lye to the water. Warming the water a bit first will help. She recommends using .5% of the total batch weight. That means if your total batch weight is 1000g, you would use 5 grams of the sodium gluconate.
I'd recommend 0.5% of the SG powder based on total batch weight. Dissolve it in water before use. I suggest using sodium gluconate solution within a day of mixing in water for best effectiveness. More: Sodium Gluconate | Soapy Stuff
Thank you DeeAnna.. I overlooked your post . My bad

As noted by @DeeAnna in post #37, above, you must always dissolve the powder in the water before adding the lye to the water. Warming the water a bit first will help. She recommends using .5% of the total batch weight. That means if your total batch weight is 1000g, you would use 5 grams of the sodium gluconate.
Thank you AliOop.

I read a thread on using a vinegar for acid trick for chelator, can we use a lemom juice or lime juice as well? Lemon juice has a citric acid, containing 1.44 and 1.38 g/oz, much less than citric acid itself but easy to buy from grocery stores.
But the result would be inaccurate since we don't know how much citric acid it would have in juices

Last edited:
I read a thread on using a vinegar for acid trick for chelator, can we use a lemom juice or lime juice as well? Lemon juice has a citric acid, containing 1.44 and 1.38 g/oz, much less than citric acid itself but easy to buy from grocery stores.
But the result would be inaccurate since we don't know how much citric acid it would have in juices
You may have seen this already:
https://classicbells.com/soap/citricAcid.asp
I like this article by DeeAnna, it talks about how to determine how much citrus juice to use.

After reading about chelators on another thread, I purchased sodium citrate from Amazon. Sodium citrate is a common food additive used to add a sour taste, or at least that’s my interpretation from what I read.
The only time I had issues with DOS was when I used canola oil. If I were to make that recipe again, I would add BHT as an experiment to prevent fatty acids becoming rancid in finished soap. I would also use a chelator in the water, even though I use distilled water. In Scientific Soapmaking, Kevin Dunn used sodium citrate plus BHT to prevent DOS. One works in water, the other works in oil. Hope this helps!

After reading about chelators on another thread, I purchased sodium citrate from Amazon. Sodium citrate is a common food additive used to add a sour taste, or at least that’s my interpretation from what I read.
The only time I had issues with DOS was when I used canola oil. If I were to make that recipe again, I would add BHT as an experiment to prevent fatty acids becoming rancid in finished soap. I would also use a chelator in the water, even though I use distilled water. In Scientific Soapmaking, Kevin Dunn used sodium citrate plus BHT to prevent DOS. One works in water, the other works in oil. Hope this helps!
Please post the experiments and share how it goes! I would like to see the results

ROE adds color to the soap which I don’t like. I am searching for another choice.

Have you doublechecked the amount of ROE you're using? It should not discolor the soap.

I use only 0.5 grams of ROE per 1000 grams of fat. That's only a tiny amount and it doesn't even discolor the fat let alone the soap. I use ROE in all my home rendered lard and all liquid veg oils. I have never perceived it to change the final soap color at all. Lard soap that should be almost white without ROE is still the same color with ROE.

Last edited:
Have you doublechecked the amount of ROE you're using? It should not discolor the soap.

I use only 0.5 grams of ROE per 1000 grams of fat. That's only a tiny amount and it doesn't even discolor the fat let alone the soap. I use ROE in all my home rendered lard and all liquid veg oils. I have never perceived it to change the final soap color at all. Lard soap that should be almost white without ROE is still the same color with ROE.
I will do so. Thanks - my math may have been faulty!! Darn. Fortunately, I have not used it in any pure white soap recipes.

I am learning so much on this forum. Thanks for the info about ROE and vitamin E additions. I'm going to order some ROE and modify my soap recipes to be more simple.

Back