Best Chelator/anti DOS ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not use them for Dos but hard water/soap scum issues. My choice is a combination of EDTA and Sodium Gluconate at the rate of 0.5% each for a total of 1%. Warding off dos is a plus since I use some lard and have had problems with high lard percentages in soap.

Last edited:
I do not use them for Dos but hard water/soap scum issues. My choice is a combination of EDTA and Sodium Carbonate at the rate of 0.5% each for a total of 1%. Warding off dos is a plus since I use some lard and have had problems with high lard percentages in soap.
Carolyn, I thought you used GLA - EDTA. Did I misunderstand?

I just corrected my error. I actually use Sodium Gluconate. Thank you for catching my error, my old brain must not be working today.
My old brain was giving me trouble the last few days, too. I keep mixing up my days and can't find stuff right in front of me. My old body is doing me more trouble, though.

I‘ve been using 1% sodium citrate per gram of oil after having problems with crystals forming on the top of my soap when I was using citric acid. I started low with the SC because I was crystal shy, but it’s working fine and it’s probably time to increase to at least 1.5%.
Is it 1% per gm or TOW ?

I have soft water, so it’s mainly for the others I give it to. I use 1.5-2% of oil weight, dissolved in a bit of the (warmed) batch water and then stick blended into my oils before adding the lye solution.
Thank you:)

Hi Sunibee, I add 1% of my total batch. We have very hard water. Thanks for asking.
Hello Paulie , my doubt is - Do u add this powder to water and dilute it ..if so what is the ratio .

Or do you add the concentrated powder directly to the oils ?

Hello Paulie , my doubt is - Do u add this powder to water and dilute it ..if so what is the ratio .

Or do you add the concentrated powder directly to the oils ?
As noted by @DeeAnna in post #37, above, you must always dissolve the powder in the water before adding the lye to the water. Warming the water a bit first will help. She recommends using .5% of the total batch weight. That means if your total batch weight is 1000g, you would use 5 grams of the sodium gluconate.

Latest posts

Back