Best Books About Soap Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faerytech

Reaction score
Please leave some recommendations, I'm getting back into soap making and I'd like to do it "right". The kind of book I'm looking for doesn't have too much... fluff (I'm not reading it to hear the writer's life story :'D). Has simple or progressively difficult recipes, and maybe covers a few other related crafts like candle making. Cold process soaps mainly. Thanks so much for your time and energy! :)

These are a couple of books that I really like.
1550551675854.jpeg
1550551700579.jpeg

I suggest borrowing books from your local library. That way, if you find one you feel you absolutely must have, you can buy it, but if one doesn't seem worth owning, you have a bit more money to spend on soap making supplies.

The Anne-Marie Faiola book that I like the best is the same one mentioned before by lsg and I found it via my library. Also I really liked Susan Miller Cavitch's Soapmakers Companion, also at my library. For the scientific persepective, a very good reference book, but not so much of what you stated you are looking for is Dr. Kevin Dunn's Scientific Soapmaking. That one I purchased as soon as it was available and am very glad to have it on hand whenever I want to reference something along the scientific side of soapmaking.

I agree, this forum is invaluable. When I come across ‘information’ in a book, I double check it with the forum. Seriously, I’ve done that for years.

“Long time lurker, very recent joinee”

I’m recommending something that seems unrelated, but necessary, take a chem 101 class with a lab at a local community college or university.

Skills, using equipment, measuring, all that will help you immensely. Audit the course if you want the knowledge without the pressure of getting a grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Soap Naturally by Patrizia Garzena and Marina Tadiello and love it, been on my bookcase since the day I started soaping :)
A friend of mine has this book and it is a good one. I think it is out of print and really expensive now.

Lovin’ Soap Studio has a free ebook https://www.lovinsoap.com/ I haven’t read it, so can’t say what it’s like. She is also about to release a new book, The Complete Guide to Natural Soapmaking. The kindle edition is available at Amazon now.

I have "The Everything Soapmaking Book" by Alicia Grosso--lotta simple good information in my opinion...
"Handmade Soap Book" by Melinda Coss--she lives in England and has many recipes with tallo and shortening
"Pure Soapmaking" Anne Marie Faiola-- the Soap Queen
"Soap Crafting" Anne Marie Faiola I really like her books
"Natural Soap Making" Elizabeth Letcavage--lotsa good information
"Soapmakers Companion" Susan Miller Cavitch..a simple great book
"Cool Soapmaking" Anne L. Watson another interesting book

So the library is a great source. I love my books, and like to read them at midnight spur of the moment so owning them is good for me.

Also have "Soap Makers Workshop" by Dr. Robert and Kathering J. McDaniel

Last edited:
A friend of mine has this book and it is a good one. I think it is out of print and really expensive now.

Lovin’ Soap Studio has a free ebook https://www.lovinsoap.com/ I haven’t read it, so can’t say what it’s like. She is also about to release a new book, The Complete Guide to Natural Soapmaking. The kindle edition is available at Amazon now.[/
Yes I checked on Amazon....really expensive.

Ah, @dibbles, thank you for clarifying that for me! I was starting to wonder if I needed to start e'splaining my book allowance with my husband :D (Cuz if 16 had been expensive I would have a whole bunch of e'splaining to do... just ordered 4 new soapy books...)

Good lord! Is that book made with a gold binding? I would look into seeing if a public library would have access to it (they may be able to borrow from another library) and then well... I will leave the rest to your imagination.*

*AMD Soap is not responsible or liable for where your imagination takes you.*

Amazon has the soap naturally book for $95. Still pretty high but not the $300+ that other site had listed.
My guess is that it is out of print.
I often see out of print books listed for crazy $$$.
If one really wanted such a book without a lot of searching it could be had just cost more than most are willing to pay.

Good lord! Is that book made with a gold binding?
That book is truly priceless. I have a copy. Soap Naturally was an Australian online forum back in early 2000 when I first started soaping. It was a truly international forum with soapers participating and contributing from all over the world. Recipes were not limited to soaps but to other bath & body products as well. The start page was well organized with different subjects that made topics easy to research. A truly amazing gift to a Newbie like me at the time.

Last edited:
Please leave some recommendations, I'm getting back into soap making and I'd like to do it "right". The kind of book I'm looking for doesn't have too much... fluff (I'm not reading it to hear the writer's life story :'D). Has simple or progressively difficult recipes, and maybe covers a few other related crafts like candle making. Cold process soaps mainly. Thanks so much for your time and energy! :)
Making Soap by Gregory Lee White. A really good introductory book. Not expensive and full of good info and recipes to get you going.

Making Soap by Gregory Lee White. A really good introductory book. Not expensive and full of good info and recipes to get you going.

FYI, Melinda, faerytech who you have quoted and replying to has not been in for 6 months.

Latest posts

Back