Best black mica and neons?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm done with activated charcoal - have a couple black micas that aren't actually black - green black, or dark charcoal. I want true black. What recommendations do you have for neons? (hopefully good ones from the same black mica supplier?)

Nurture. I use Nocturnal for black. I don't use neons much, but I see soaps made with Nurture neons all the time and they look very bright. I hate working with AC too.

I like Micas & More for black mica, although I think you had problems with her colors in your recipe. I like all of her neons, except blue - it's too light, I want a dark blue neon. A soap friend recommend Mad Micas to me for any of their neons. I'm not sure what their black is like, but I have used a handful of their micas in the past they all did very well for me. (Thanks for reminding me that I need to order some neons...)

I'm done with activated charcoal - have a couple black micas that aren't actually black - green black, or dark charcoal. I want true black. What recommendations do you have for neons? (hopefully good ones from the same black mica supplier?)
Are you done with AC because it's not black enough? or another reason? If it's because it's not black enough, I use AC with black oxide to get a true BLACK black. By itself I only get a dark grey, and with using only oxide I have to use too much and it will bleed to get a true black and stain wash cloths.

If it's for another reason, same thing, mix oxide with mica to get a true dark black. I've done that before and I second cerelife's Wicked from Mad Mica's for a black mica mixed with black oxide.
I also use Mad Mica's for my neons. I don't know if they grind them smaller, or what the deal is, but because neon (powder) are pigments, they are hard to incorporate in soap (for the most part) but Mad Mica's incorporate better and easier than any other neon powder I've tried, AND I don't get the specks I do with others because they incorporate so well...

Back