Best beer/ale FOs?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dixiedragon

Reaction score
WSP has three - Summer Ale, Harvest Ale and Jingle Bell Ale. The first two have citrus notes and the last one has spice notes. Any body try any of these?

I want more of a straight-up beer or ale scent.

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSP also has one called Oatmeal Stout. I bought it in my last purchase and can't keep the boyfriend away from sniffing the bottle. It's got a nice beer scent with an oatmeal cookie sweetness on back end. I haven't soaped with it yet so don't know how it morphs.

I'm watching for a response on the Summer Ale because I have that one in my wish list.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you one not to use. NG's Beer....smells like the 3rd day after a frat party. I haven't tried any other Beer scents as that one was terrible.

dneruck

Reaction score
WSP's oatmeal stoute didn't morph for me but it definitely rices

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSP's oatmeal stoute didn't morph for me but it definitely rices
Good to know! I'll probably try it in a HP recipe then as I've had good luck with other FO's that were reviewed as "ricers".

Obsidian

Reaction score
I can tell you one not to use. NG's Beer....smells like the 3rd day after a frat party. I haven't tried any other Beer scents as that one was terrible.
That sounds like a perfect scent for a beer soap. I got some sniffies from another member, one was oatmeal stout and the other was autumn something. Neither smelled like beer, they were nice but not what I wanted.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
SoS has a Light Beer FO with iffy reviews. WSP also carries a Pumpkin Lager FO, and Mike's Fragrances carries a Beer FO. I have no personal experience with those, though.

In looking for beer FOs I haven't been able to find a straight malty-hoppy beer scent with good reviews. Most are mixed with fruit, bread, or spice notes. I can understand why - many good beers have those notes anyway, and without them I can imagine it smelling a little pissy and flat.

In my dreams I'd have something that smells as figgy as a Belgian quad. Mm.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I love the oatmeal stout FO.

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soaped with wsp oatmeal stout tonight. No ricing but holy moly it seized up! A few swishes with my spatula and it was at trace. I was rushing to get some color in and forcing it into the mold. Praying for no air pockets. But oh my it is a heavenly smelling disaster!

1450842628018.jpg

Latest posts