Best batch yet...Mango Menthol Shave Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivanstein

Reaction score
I made some shave soap last weekend and I must say... it's goooooood!

Turned out very nice. Compared to my standby recipe, I upped the castor percentage and added additional glycerine.

Then....the secret sauce: 15g per pound oil menthol crystals and mango fragrance oil.

Very nice aroma, nice cooling feel due to the menthol and a really great lather that lasts for multiple passes and is slicker than snot on a doorknob. (That's a valid expression in the Midwest US)

Anyway, a good batch like that renews my excitement for soaping.

Yes. Stearic melts so hot it's rather difficult to do a real cold process shave soap.

I made some shave soap last weekend and I must say... it's goooooood!

Turned out very nice. Compared to my standby recipe, I upped the castor percentage and added additional glycerine.

Then....the secret sauce: 15g per pound oil menthol crystals and mango fragrance oil.

Very nice aroma, nice cooling feel due to the menthol and a really great lather that lasts for multiple passes and is slicker than snot on a doorknob. (That's a valid expression in the Midwest US)

Anyway, a good batch like that renews my excitement for soaping.
Apart from the cooling, what do you find menthol brings to the table?

That was the purpose of the menthol. To make a cooling sensation after the shave. It's quite nice actually. Soothing.

This is probably mild enough for the legs, but...uh...anything more tender might be an issue. The lady of the house uses my shave soaps and has yet to weigh in on this batch.

I made a small (250 grams of oil) batch tonight. My husband, who is affectionately known as "Fashion Santa" at this time of year, has hinted that he's impressed enough that he might be tempted to shave. I'm loving the combo of menthol and mango. (I just happened to have some Mango Sherbet FO on hand... a freebie from Candora.) My 9 y.o. grandson, who's here for the week, says he can't smell the menthol. I don't think he knows what he's smelling because I can sure smell it. I love it!

As for the pic, that's from the little bit that was left in the crockpot. My husband was VERY impressed.

20181119_204428_HDR.jpg

The menthol smell definitely fades, but the feel doesn't.

Glad you like it and so does "Santa". [emoji16]

Back