Best American FO supplier..?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyjones

Reaction score
I'm going to do a FO order and I'm finding my Canadian supplier lacking in options. I'm all the way over in Newfoundland so it's expensive to ship anything. So in your opinion what's the best bang for my buck? I know you get what you pay for but I'd rather order from the best. BB Is good i know but they only ship some FOs to Canada so I'm limited again. Are other American companies like this as well with not sending high FP FOs? Help!!

I wonder if your title might be considered incendiary language. I'm sure some folks here are ready to throw down for their fav supplier! ;)

How much are you looking to spend? If you want to place a big order ($200 or more) and will be ordering quantities of a pound, I would suggest Lebermuth. I've never bought from them directly, but I've picked up multiple of their FOs from garage sale tables and they've all been lovely. And their prices per pound are very good.

I would recommend reading over the fragrance review on the forum and see what kind of FO's youmay be interested in and their performance for others. Then go with the one you decide that would be best. I know I don't have just 1 company I purchase from (wish that was possible).

I use 4-5 different suppliers myself so narrowing it down would be difficult. Sorry I'm not much help :)

I'm going to do a FO order and I'm finding my Canadian supplier lacking in options. I'm all the way over in Newfoundland so it's expensive to ship anything. So in your opinion what's the best bang for my buck? I know you get what you pay for but I'd rather order from the best. BB Is good i know but they only ship some FOs to Canada so I'm limited again. Are other American companies like this as well with not sending high FP FOs? Help!!

I am afraid I don't know the answer, but I suspect that international shipping of FOs is restricted due partially by the regulations set in the receiving nation as well as regulations set by the transportation company (shipping carrier). I just ordered from BB and noticed a popup to chat with a BB person if I wanted some help, so maybe you could ask them about the specific restrictions to shipping to your location. That should give you an idea if it's company policy or national import/export restrictions or whatever.

Some FOs (the ones with low FPs, not high FPs) can only be shipped via ground transportation in the US, and I suspect that is the same in Canada as well. In the US the Department of Transportation via the US Congress set the regulations for that based on Flash Points, which you can read a bit about on many vendor's sites. I expect Canada and other countries have similar transportation safety regulatory agencies that also restrict air transportation of these substances. In fact the United Nations has a hand in international standards for transport by air and vessel.

In reading the restrictions about what cannot be exported out of the United States, one thing caught my attention: Any food, supplement, drug or cosmetic that has been issued a Consumer Safety Advisory Warning. I don't know an easy way to find out if a specific FO has had such a warning, so don't really know if this applies or not, but for some EOs, I'm pretty sure it does.

Oh, and another factor that may come into play for you in Newfoundland is that it is an island, just as Hawaii is for the US. So for you perhaps it is that ground transportation is impossible. I don't know if any transportation companies utilize ferries in their delivery operations. That might also be part of the problem. Of course you would understand this better than I.

BTW, I chose visiting Newfoundland as my destination in BB's 'what fragrance are you' test earlier today, as I have never been there and would like to visit someday.

I am afraid I don't know the answer, but I suspect that international shipping of FOs is restricted due partially by the regulations set in the receiving nation as well as regulations set by the transportation company (shipping carrier). I just ordered from BB and noticed a popup to chat with a BB person if I wanted some help, so maybe you could ask them about the specific restrictions to shipping to your location. That should give you an idea if it's company policy or national import/export restrictions or whatever.

Some FOs (the ones with low FPs, not high FPs) can only be shipped via ground transportation in the US, and I suspect that is the same in Canada as well. In the US the Department of Transportation via the US Congress set the regulations for that based on Flash Points, which you can read a bit about on many vendor's sites. I expect Canada and other countries have similar transportation safety regulatory agencies that also restrict air transportation of these substances. In fact the United Nations has a hand in international standards for transport by air and vessel.

In reading the restrictions about what cannot be exported out of the United States, one thing caught my attention: Any food, supplement, drug or cosmetic that has been issued a Consumer Safety Advisory Warning. I don't know an easy way to find out if a specific FO has had such a warning, so don't really know if this applies or not, but for some EOs, I'm pretty sure it does.

Oh, and another factor that may come into play for you in Newfoundland is that it is an island, just as Hawaii is for the US. So for you perhaps it is that ground transportation is impossible. I don't know if any transportation companies utilize ferries in their delivery operations. That might also be part of the problem. Of course you would understand this better than I.

BTW, I chose visiting Newfoundland as my destination in BB's 'what fragrance are you' test earlier today, as I have never been there and would like to visit someday.

Thank you so much. This all makes so much sense. I need to do a little more research on my own

And come to Newfoundland! We'd love to have you ☺️

Back