Best additive to mimic sand?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy fine folks!

I am planning out a soap design to give out as wedding favours for my upcoming wedding!

I'm thinking a gradient blue with "sand" at the bottom, like a beach.

What additive would be best to add to the yellow "sand" layer to make it look speckled? Pumice? Something else?

Last edited:
I just watched a video where she used ground up calendula petals in a tan base for the sand. I hadn’t thought of that before. I have colloidal oatmeal and vanilla bean specs that I’ve been meaning to use for sand. I feel a beach soaping session coming on for me! Congrats on your impending wedding! Can’t wait to see pics!

Congratulations on your wedding. My anniversary is in May - it's my favorite month and the weather is usually perfect (assuming you won't spend all your anniversaries in Mexico).

I was going to suggest walnut shell powder, but I see you already found that idea. I haven't used it. I have heard it can be scratchy so a little test batch might be a good idea for gauging amounts. Cinnamon maybe...I've used that before and it is scratchy. But it does make speckles.

What about jojoba beads? I don't know if they come in brown, but I think I've see them in black.

I was gifted a soap with very fine walnut powder. It wasn't scratchy but it's dark, probably too much for sand.

I would go with corn meal or tan jojoba beads if you can find them

I took a peek at the scrub additives on WSP, and finely ground walnut shell powder seems like a nice option: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/walnut-shell-powder.aspx

Anyone tried that before?

I have only used black walnut and it's too dark; also a bit on the scratchy side. Have not used a lighter walnut and not sure how dark it would be. But even light colored walnut shells produce a very dark stain when the squirrels chew the hull off, so I am not sure I'd risk it untested for color.

At Alaina B's Soap blog she used finely ground chamomile flowers, they look great but not really yellow.
http://alaiynab.blogspot.com/2015/05/brush-embroidery-decorated-cold-process.html#more

871887_TN_shadow.png
:)

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! What about corn meal? I think it might look "sandy".
Lol, I should've read the other suggestions first. I see cornmeal had already been suggested. [emoji16]

Congratulations! May in Mexico sounds magical!
I would say a mixture of oatmeal and very light roast coffee grounds would look good and is not very abrasive.

Here's something I found on pinterest - not sure what they used for sand but it looks nice.

626f05c3a686bc1a455830c64ed2dfe1.jpg

85a689502a9eae3203f4b3aa73ed8ef7.jpg
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/42221315239756401/
Not my work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!

I would color the 'sand' part of the soap tan and add ground oatmeal (or baby oatmeal) to it.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back