Bentonite Permanently affected by Stainless Steel?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I gather that, the desirable electric charge of bentonite clay will change if the clay makes contact with metal, even good quality stainless steel.

Is that change irreversible? In other words, after being removed from a stainless steel bowl, spoon, etc, will the clay return to its desirable state and provide its benefits like extracting excess oil and toxins? If not, what will that look like and can using the soap be harmful? What would be the signs that the phenomenon has happened?

Happy for other discussions regarding materials other than stainless steel (vinegar, sulphur, pumice, etc).

Last edited:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gather that, the desirable electric charge of bentonite clay will change if the clay makes contact with metal, even good quality stainless steel.

Is that change irreversible? In other words, after being removed from a stainless steel bowl, spoon, etc, will the clay return to its desirable state and provide its benefits like extracting excess oil and toxins? If not, what will that look like and can using the soap be harmful? What would be the signs that the phenomenon has happened?

Happy for other discussions regarding materials other than stainless steel (vinegar, sulphur, pumice, etc).
This is interesting' hmmm. If this is true & its a negative outcome for soap then I'l start mixing my lye in a plastic container..

glendam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminded me of this article by Marie from Humble bee and me:

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome Info. 💫👍🏼

Professor Bernardo

Reaction score
Excellent read on the info you supplied, so therefore as I understood the article, unless the water is either very base or very acidic there is nothing to worry about regarding an ionic exchange with bentonite.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
So the process should ideally look like this? Happy for corrections or improvements, including those that transcend the matter of ionic transfer.

-- HP --
  • Set aside bentonite clay in combination with superfats
  • At 'potato' phase, add the bentonite clay slurry

-- CP (when not swirling) --
  • Set aside bentonite clay in combination with a small amount of combined base oils
  • After thick trace, add the bentonite clay slurry

-- CP (when swirling) --
  • Set aside bentonite clay in combination with a small amount of combined base oils
  • After thin trace, add the bentonite clay slurry

New to bentonite clay. My first CP batch was too soft, possibly because I soaked it in water ... and it is a brine soap (which attracts atmostpheric moisture).

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume, from that article, that adding it to CP batter at any point would be pointless as it will be in contact with the lye monster until the batter has fully saponified, at which time it is no longer liquid.

glendam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume, from that article, that adding it to CP batter at any point would be pointless as it will be in contact with the lye monster until the batter has fully saponified, at which time it is no longer liquid.
I think it would depend on whether there is a metal instrument or container being used after the clay slurry is introduced. From what I understand, @Garden Gives Me Joy, it would be best to add it after you are done using the stick blender, since the blades are metal. Provided everything else you use (containers, spoons or spatulas) do not have any metal that can come into contact with the batter.