Bentonite Clay Mask

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I decided to try one of these masks. Originally I wanted to try a french green clay mask but apparently my french green clay has gone poof. It's a very simple mask but I'm happy to say it worked. My face was itchy and oily before hand. Now it feels much better. I wasn't sure if I should believe it. Now I'm wondering if I should create and sell it.

Glad you got a great result with your mask. :)
Masks with clay are often difficult to preserve. So if you plan to sell it make sure you are using a robust preservative that is suitable for use with clay and get it tested.

I will add that bentonite in particular doesn't do well premixed. It continues absorbing water over time and ends up dry and cakey.

If you decide to sell it, I'd sell just the dry ingredients, or sell a two-part products, with dry ingredients in one container, and the liquids in another (with their proper preservatives). Either way, you'd have to include a good set of mixing instructions.

Glad you got a great result with your mask. :)
Masks with clay are often difficult to preserve. So if you plan to sell it make sure you are using a robust preservative that is suitable for use with clay and get it tested.
Thank you. I haven't decided yet. I didn't add preservative but I also only made a couple tablespoons full. I didn't want to waste anything if it was a failure.

I will add that bentonite in particular doesn't do well premixed. It continues absorbing water over time and ends up dry and cakey.

If you decide to sell it, I'd sell just the dry ingredients, or sell a two-part products, with dry ingredients in one container, and the liquids in another (with their proper preservatives). Either way, you'd have to include a good set of mixing instructions.
Oh, that's a good idea. I was considering using french green clay instead, I just didn't have any on hand. Would that do better?

I do think it is easier to formulate with green clay, but as @justjacqui noted, for a premixed product with clay, you will have to really know your preservatives. Also, you should get your product tested before selling. Clay is just a tricky one, and you sure don't want to sell something that's going to spoil. Personally, I'm not up for all that, so I stick with a dry mix and some directions for mixing when ready to use. I only gift; I don't sell.

Latest posts

Back