benefits of white versus yellow beeswax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make lotion bars with beeswax. I buy white beeswax pastilles from Bulk Apothecary which says it "naturally filters" beeswax to get white. A commercial website that sells lotion bars and skin balms claims that yellow beeswax is superior with more benefits to the skin; white bleached beeswax won't have added benefits and therefore is more a "filler." Does anyone know about this issue and specifically Bulk Apothecary's white beeswax?
I use both yellow and white. I tend to use yellow for products in my own household, and white to give away as gifts. I don't know why, white lotion bars look nicer for some reason.

The only thing I can see that is a benefit of the white is the pollen and other allergens should be removed, of course being unscented it will be easier to scent.

White is pretty but I prefer raw, yellow wax that has all the goodies still in it.

I wouldn't call the white a filler, regardless of color is acts as a barrier and emollient for the skin. The yellow just has a bit more skin benefits.

I make lotion bars with beeswax. I buy white beeswax pastilles from Bulk Apothecary which says it "naturally filters" beeswax to get white. A commercial website that sells lotion bars and skin balms claims that yellow beeswax is superior with more benefits to the skin; white bleached beeswax won't have added benefits and therefore is more a "filler." Does anyone know about this issue and specifically Bulk Apothecary's white beeswax?
I use both yellow and white. I tend to use yellow for products in my own household, and white to give away as gifts. I don't know why, white lotion bars look nicer for some reason.

Beeswax is naturally yellow as a result of the nectar and pollen brought into the hive. You can filter beeswax to an ivory color, but to get a 'white' beeswax it has to be chemically processed...usually bleached.

Most 'natural' website I just checked agree that a yellow beeswax is better than white beeswax. I have only used yellow beeswax...I like the color and the smell.

I only use yellow beeswax that I obtained from a beekeeper and cleaned and melted myself. The soap still has some pleasant odour after six weeks of curing (but it is a bit sticky though).

Latest posts

Back