Benefits of EO's in wash off products?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
I know using expensive (jojoba ect) oils in a wash off product is kind of a waste of money. But I just got to thinking about EO's. Do you get any of the benefits of them in soap or are they mainly added for the scent?

Yep, mostly for scent, except for tea tree oil which I 'think' is gonna do some good but don't know what. Now that I think about it, I actually hold no hopes for any miracle with that either.

I know using expensive (jojoba ect) oils in a wash off product is kind of a waste of money. But I just got to thinking about EO's. Do you get any of the benefits of them in soap or are they mainly added for the scent?

I go with scent. Plus you have to experiment a lot to find the ones that work and don't fade or morph too much. Truth be told, they can be okay in CP if you're not too fussy, but they smell better when you can add them to products after the lye is gone. Transparent soap, liquid soap, HP.

And then there's this.

https://www.facebook.com/awakenwithjp/videos/1267705613245298/

I'm sorry, I should have specified. I meant in liquid soap. Mainly facial soap. Like lavender or tea tree. I can't imagine they would be on long enough to do anything but I don't claim to know a whole lot about EO's either.

You may see more benefits. I personally have noticed a difference in my skin using bar soaps with EOs vs without and using soap with peppermint EO was the best thing ever in the summer months.

If nothing from soap (a wash off product) transferred through the skin why bother with handmade soap? Everyone would just use the superior chemically laden commercial soap which is cheap and readily available.

Because there is still scent remaining after saponification there is some part of an EO remaining. I don't know how much but there is enough to make me sick from EOs I am intolerant of.

Some of the benefits (and drawbacks) of EOs (and any other additive you use in soap) remain in wash off products so use with care.

My aunt gardens and used to get small, infected scratches from gardening. (she doesn't wear gloves to garden). She swears that once she started washing her hands with my tea tree soap that it stopped. So I do think some of the "instant" properties (for lack of a better term) such as anti bacterial, -viral and -fungal may survive and be useful in soap.

Latest posts

Back