Benefits of a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly B

Reaction score
Other than being trendy, what are the benefits to salt bars? I know it makes the bar harder, but does it make the soap more beneficial for the skin? I have made salt bars using rebatch shreds, and the bars were very hard, but very little lather, and I didn't notice any exfoliation or improved conditioning.

So before I embark on making CP salt bars, other than hardness, what are the benefits? Just for clarification, I'm talking about adding salt at trace, not to the lye water.

Thanks for any info and opinions.

Hardness doesn’t mean anything with salt soap. High CO soap is more water soluble and doesn’t last as long in many cases. I’ve been using salt soap primarily on my face for years as it helps clear up breakouts for me and it did the same for my girls. Plus I love the thick creamy lather of a well cured salt soap. I cure mine for at least 6 months and prefer them even older. I also sell quite a lot of them. However, I make no claims.

Last edited:
Hardness doesn’t mean anything with salt soap. High CO soap is more water soluble and doesn’t last as long in many cases. I’ve been using salt soap primarily on my face for years as it helps clear up breakouts for me and it did the same for my girls. Plus I love the thick creamy lather of a well cured salt soap. I fire mime for at least 6 months and prefer them even older. I also sell quite a lot of them. However, I make no claims.

Other than being trendy, what are the benefits to salt bars? I know it makes the bar harder, but does it make the soap more beneficial for the skin? I have made salt bars using rebatch shreds, and the bars were very hard, but very little lather, and I didn't notice any exfoliation or improved conditioning.

So before I embark on making CP salt bars, other than hardness, what are the benefits? Just for clarification, I'm talking about adding salt at trace, not to the lye water.

If you had low lather, I'll assume you had a lower amount of coconut. True salt bars need around 80% coconut, to that I add 20% olive or sunflower with a 20% superfat.

They have helped a lot of people with various skin conditions, acne especially.

Like mentioned already, they make great thick lather and I feel I get cleaner with them. I especial like them in the summer.

They won't be exfoliating. The salt grains melt before they can scratch your skin. Always use fine salt and I suggest using cavity molds as they can be tricky to cut.

Hello friends. I know 100% coconut bar doesn't last much, but what about salt bars. I tried one I did a month ago and with one use it decrease almost 40% I would say. Does salt bar with 3 months cure or more last longer or it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Hello friends. I know 100% coconut bar doesn't last much, but what about salt bars. I tried one I did a month ago and with one use it decrease almost 40% I would say. Does salt bar with 3 months cure or more last longer or it doesn't matter. Thanks.

A 100% coconut bar shouldn't go down 40% in one use unless it was left sitting in water and got soggy.
Yes, a salt bar will last quite a bit long then just a plain coconut soap.

Also, one month isn’t a long enough cure for salt soap, at least for most of us. My salt soap lasts quite a long time. However, I mostly use them on my face. When I use them on my body they last somewhat less time but still a good amount of time. You need to keep them well drained between use.

A traditional salt bar has a very high amount of salt added to the batter, for example salt at 25 to 100% of the weight of the oils is added at light to medium trace. The bars are very different from the average bar of soap. A typical recipe could be 80-100% coconut oil, with the superfat at 18-20% and the bars are cured for many months to years. Those who have been making salt bars for that long report substantial improvement with the long cure. I only ask this because you mentioned rebatching shreds, which would be an unusual way to make a salt bar.

A 100% coconut bar shouldn't go down 40% in one use unless it was left sitting in water and got soggy.
Yes, a salt bar will last quite a bit long then just a plain coconut soap.
Thanks. I will try the salt bar in 3 months again.

I know this thread is about salt bars but it did veer a bit into melty coconut bars and reminded me that I am still amazed at how hard and long - lasting my 100% lard bars are! It's a good thing I like the fragrance of the one that's been in the downstairs bathroom for months... Other bars have come and gone and still it persists!

. I only ask this because you mentioned rebatching shreds, which would be an unusual way to make a salt bar.

It is. But up until September, I was too timid to try making CP or HP soap. :oops: But I found I could buy shreds and rebatch them and add all sorts goodies, and salt was one of the things I tried. But now I'm ready to try salt CP soap, so I wanted to find out what all the hype was about. :)

It is. But up until September, I was too timid to try making CP or HP soap. :oops: But I found I could buy shreds and rebatch them and add all sorts goodies, and salt was one of the things I tried. But now I'm ready to try salt CP soap, so I wanted to find out what all the hype was about. :)

I'm afraid you are stuck trying them. I personally won't use a salt bar as they tend to be a little harsh for me in the long run but I have made a batch before. After a year's cure, those bad boys lasted for a long while but, because I was not aware of the fact that the type of salt you use is very important, I found that batch to be my worst batch of soap as well. When/ if you do make a salt bar, DO NOT USE PINK HIMALAYAN SEA SALT. Even the finely ground variety will be good for scratching up your skin in a bad way. Just use that salt for cooking. Also, I think salt without iodine yields little to no issues.

I love my salt bars and my eczema loves my salt bars just as my skin loved going to the ocean. Now I take the ocean to the shower. As mentioned use fine salt and stay away from Himalayan it really is not great for salt bars. I have made many salt bars and tried many salts. Non iodized table salt works just fine and x-fine to fine Pacific Sea Salt is also good for salt bars. Save your money and do not buy Hawaiian black sea salt it is Pacific Sea Salt infused with Charcoal. Just do not waste money on Gourmet salts for soap. Never use coarser than fine grain for salt bars and do not grind your salt yourself it will sharpen the edges of the salt grains.

I also tried powdered salt and it makes a lovely bar too. I received a couple from another member and loved them. I still have a bit left of those. So had to order an make my own too. They are still curing as like all my salt soaps they are so much better with a long cure.

What is wrong with using fine grain Himalayan? I made salt bars to give to my girlfriends and used pink kaolin clay and pink Himalayan.

I got 5 lbs of it for free using Amazon points and if I don't use it making salt bars it will still be around after I am gone!

What about adding salt to melt and pour? I made a nice bath with tea tree oil and salt (which has to be mixed almost before you remove the mp from heat). I used fine iodized table salt and it mixed well.

What about adding salt to melt and pour? I made a nice bath with tea tree oil and salt (which has to be mixed almost before you remove the mp from heat). I used fine iodized table salt and it mixed well.
Salt in MP will only cut the lather. Salt soap is made with at least 80% Coconut Oil. In MP it maybe a bit scrubby too.

What is wrong with using fine grain Himalayan? I made salt bars to give to my girlfriends and used pink kaolin clay and pink Himalayan.

I got 5 lbs of it for free using Amazon points and if I don't use it making salt bars it will still be around after I am gone!
Himalayan Salt contains hard clay which is very scratchy. To test, dissolve some in a jar water at 25% and look at the bottom of the debris left in your jar. You can use this Brine for making Soleseif soap bars which are very nice. Here is a recipe or do a search in the forum. Himalayan also makes a nice salt soak for the tub.
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/soleseife-soap-recipe-516606

Latest posts

Back