Beginner's Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay! Now I don't feel so bad about being confused. I have to admit I sometimes skim posts and may not read them as carefully as I should. :oops:

You're right and I'm glad you emphasized there isn't a single factor. It's a good reminder for me to understand just because I don't have problems with certain oils, it doesn't mean other people won't based upon variables. I should start adding into every post "YMMV". :lol:

@ Lotus -

You just stated you have excellent drinking water. I would use tap water instead of distilled if I lived in a city which had excellent drinking water.

Really? You think so? Our water DOES taste so good! There is nothing like a hard night of drinking (which tonight is looking to be), where there is nothing more refreshing than an ice cold glass of our tap water. It is what water should taste like out of any tap. I really am surprised when I travel, and the tap water is horrible. It's so odd to me, since I grew up here, in portland.

I did live in the suburbs for a period, growing up, and you could definitely taste that it was heavily chlorinated. But, not here. It's refreshing!! Good to know!!

Edit: my husband brings an excellent point!! I'm going to do a test. One batch with tap water, and the other, the exact same recipe, with distilled. I'll definitely write a post on my results when I do it!! : ) I love him. So cool!!

Last edited:
Really? You think so? Our water DOES taste so good!

Definitely! I would use tap water if I could trust the water source. Last summer was really hard because the city kept posting warning notices about boiling the water for at least 10 minutes before using for cooking and drinking. It was a pain so I ended up buying 5 gallon containers of water at a store. It will probably happen again this summer since we don't have a new water treatment plant yet.

Oh, Hazel!! Such sadness. If it were me, I wouldn't even want to use it after boiling. I would still be so nervous as hell!!

Thank you!!

I live in Oregon also and never could find freezer paper either. I just use parchment paper and not had any issues with that. I haven't tried butcher paper to see how it is. I'm moving to Cleveland next month, maybe they'll have freezer paper their, though again, I have no problem using parchment paper. Oh I just found out WSP is located in Cleveland. Awesomeness!!!!!

For 1000' rolls of freezer paper
http://www.uline.com/BL_1959/Freezer-Paper?keywords=coated paper

After reading this I am now worried about my soap since I used grapeseed AND sunflower oil :-( boo.. guess ill just have to wait n see if anything happens.

Latest posts

Back