Beginners gel phase question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devivi

Reaction score
I’ve made two batches of cp soap so far so i am obviously still learning! Sorry this is kind of long...
My first batch of soap (coconut sunflower and olive oil) i mixed when the lye water was still rather warm to the touch, placed the mix into a glass bowl (pyrex brand) wrapped in an old cotton shirt and let sit for 24 hours before unmolding
It turned out looking well, one color and no ash on top

The second batch i made (coconut, avocado and olive oil) i mixed when the lye water was lukewarm then placed in a pringles can lined with parchment paper and set aside for about 16 hours before unmolding still no ash but this time i know this batch went through partial gel phase it has about half an inch ring on the outside of lighter color than the rest
I know i can still use the soap and its just a cosmetic thing but i’m curious which change of steps caused such a variant in my soaps? If it helps when i get home I’ll add photos of them for comparison

I know now that I really shouldn’t have changed so many variables at once and am kicking myself in the behind for it but i’m getting impatient waiting for supplies to arrive in the mail and want to try all kinds of things!

You can wrap your container in a towel and set it in a warm area to force gel. I sometimes turn on the oven and heat to 160*F, then turn it off and put the soap in the warm oven. I leave it overnight. This will force gel, also. If you don't want your soap to gel, try using individual cavity molds and set the soap in the refrigerator or freezer, overnight.

Latest posts

Back