Beginner Soaper trying to figure out soapcalc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riany

Reaction score
Hi there,

I started to learn how to make soap, used a couple of recipes from online, they seemed to turn out alright, Two were just lard and the third I used coffee instead of water.Now I would like to try to make my own recipe, but having issues trying to figure out soap calc and what ingredients go well with one another, I am using lard and coconut on this recipe I would like to try . But am unsure of exactly in what proportions they should go? Is there a base oil ? and the others are just "Fillers" for certain quantities you would like? Do you just play around with the quantities to get the Sat:Unsat Ratio? or is there a chart to figure that out? I was told that Sat should be 40 and unsat should be 60, Not sure how to fix this?
I am glad I found this forum so much information!
soap 3.PNG

Once you build your recipe, pay close attention to the green box at the bottom left. You’ll note the two oils you’ve chosen will make a soap that’s REALLY hard and REALLY cleansing...Think Granny Clampett’s lard soap down by the “Cement Pond.” Personally, I aim to have my soap recipes squarely in the middle of every range: hard, cleansing, conditioning, etc. You’ll find castor is essential for good lather (usually 5-8%). Try this... 21% coconut, 21% palm, 21% lard, 21% olive, 8% castor and 8% avocado, safflower or sunflower. See where that gets you, and make small tweaks from there by shifting a couple of percentage points between those oils. I think you’ll like the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using what I have at home, I don't want to get into to many ingredients and to keep it simple. Thank for your input.
That’s a great plan, but still watch the values in the calculator. There’s no sense in making soap that you cannot use. We can help you find local oils. If nothing else, add some olive oil to your base to balance out the lard.

Try the bramble berry soap calculator. Is super easy to use for beginners.

Lard are coconut are ok, but you should add another oil Olive oil would be a good choice. 1/3 of each oil would do.

If you do not have olive in your pantry, try safflower, or even vegetable (soy).

Last edited:
If you want to try your recipe as is, do a small batch as cmzaha suggested. 30% coconut is more than most people here like to use, but I have seen recipes using that much. Maybe just increase your superfat to 7-8% and see how you like it. I agree adding some olive oil would be better. You could try 20-25% coconut, 20-30% olive oil and the rest in lard. I'd also suggest that you change your lye concentration to 30-33%. Your batter shouldn't trace too quickly with those oils at 33%, but maybe 30-31% would be better if this is only your 4th batch. Castor helps with the lather, but you can still have nice soap without it.

Hi @Riany! What do you actually have on hand? Any other oil? What do you use for cooking?

I've recently made a nice soap with 60% lard and 20% each coconut and olive, but you can use any other. Maybe canola? Sunflower? Soy?

Also, I'm also still a newbie, and I still always worry about making a very big batch because things can go south without us meaning to. If you make smaller batches you can try different things and see which one ends up working for you. Up or lower your coconut, or 100% lard, add a third oil, a fourth, etc.

Lastly, I found this page by our very own DeeAnna extremely helpful when I was new. It guides you in making decisions in terms of the numbers in the calc (cleansing, conditioning, etc.). Actually, that whole website is very helpful if you have time to read all the info.

Good luck!

Back