Beginner Soap Maker w/ Questions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopie

Reaction score
Hello! I just took up the hobby of soap making recently with a kit, and have already ordered some supplies. Before I start making some beautiful melt and pour soap though, I have a couple of questions for you guys.
First of all, I was watching some MP soap videos, and I noticed that almost everyone uses the normal glycerine base, but they also use a goat milk soap base. Is the goat milk base necessary? Or could I get away with just using a glycerine base and still produce beautiful soaps? Also, I did order some 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol, but is that the only kind you can use? Or will a 91% percent or lower work fine as well? And finally, if I were to sell some soaps at a farmers market in the future, what prices would you guys deem fair but still able to get me a profit?
Thank you all so much ahead of time!

Welcome, Mopie!

MP comes in many varieties, whether it be normal or goat-milk or shea or oatmeal or honey MP, etc.., but they are all glycerin based. You can use one or any of them. It's all up to you and your creativity! They all create beautiful soaps! :)

You don't have to use 99% isopropyl alcohol. You can use 91 or even 76. All I've ever used is the 76, actually and it's always worked fine for me.

In regard to business questions, they are not allowed in the Beginner section as per forum rules, but must be posted in the Business section of the forum, but only if you've met the qualifications to post in the Business section (3 month's membership along with 50 posts).

IrishLass :)

Welcome, Mopie!

MP comes in many varieties, whether it be normal or goat-milk or shea or oatmeal or honey MP, etc.., but they are all glycerin based. You can use one or any of them. It's all up to you and your creativity! They all create beautiful soaps! :)
The only difference between those might be opacity. Goat milk ones I've seen are a creamy white, not translucent or transparent like plain ones. Shea is slightly more opaque too from what I've seen, not sure about others.

Welcome to the forum!

animated-welcome-image-0279.gif

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can make beautiful M&P soaps from a clear base by adding colors and fragrance. You can also swirl, layer and do embeds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back