Beginner soap maker...first attempt.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.T.E.

Reaction score
Hello Soapers!!! I’m a new beginner soap maker. This is my first attempt along with some help. I think it turned out pretty decent but I think it’s in gelling phase. 1st bar is Pure Olive oil (soap without lines) and second is olive oil, coconut oil, lemongrass, and rosemary ( soap with lines and white powder on flowers)

Attachments

• EE046B1B-48D2-4FDE-BC6A-9D03BFEA06D6.jpeg
    EE046B1B-48D2-4FDE-BC6A-9D03BFEA06D6.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 43
  • A97A2644-855A-448A-A09B-DA9B5D6EE7CD.jpeg
    A97A2644-855A-448A-A09B-DA9B5D6EE7CD.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 49590B20-C1EC-4FA4-A2DD-CB685B43C2BA.jpeg
    49590B20-C1EC-4FA4-A2DD-CB685B43C2BA.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 19FBAA08-554D-4BFD-BD95-AA8565247837.jpeg
    19FBAA08-554D-4BFD-BD95-AA8565247837.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the feedback.

They look great! The OO soap looks like it has stearic spots which can be avoided in future by soaping a little warmer, if they worry you.

I’m still new to this but what do you mean by soaping a little warmer? Have the water at a warmer temp when mixing with the lye or have them in a warmer spot when in the mold?

Congratulations! The white powder is ash. It can be rinsed off. It's only cosmetic and won't affect the soap at all.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback.

I’m still new to this but what do you mean by soaping a little warmer? Have the water at a warmer temp when mixing with the lye or have them in a warmer spot when in the mold?
Do you have a laser thermometer?
To get rid of stearic spots you need to mix your soap batter at at temp that is warm enough to ensure the spots don’t form.
For me I find that is around 110*F or about 40*C. So I warm my oils and wait for my lye mix to get to that temp before I mix them together.

I pour at medium trace and cover my silicone mold which is in a timber box with a lid and put it in a polystyrene box and cover that with an old down quilt and wait for 12-18 hours for it to cool before I unmold and cut. This ensures the soap gels all the way through (doesn’t get the dark ring in the centre of the soap), doesn’t get spots or swirls and doesn’t get ash.

Not everyone minds about spots and swirls in their soap. It is a personal choice.

Do you have a laser thermometer?
To get rid of stearic spots you need to mix your soap batter at at temp that is warm enough to ensure the spots don’t form.
For me I find that is around 110*F or about 40*C. So I warm my oils and wait for my lye mix to get to that temp before I mix them together.

I pour at medium trace and cover my silicone mold which is in a timber box with a lid and put it in a polystyrene box and cover that with an old down quilt and wait for 12-18 hours for it to cool before I unmold and cut. This ensures the soap gels all the way through (doesn’t get the dark ring in the centre of the soap), doesn’t get spots or swirls and doesn’t get ash.

Not everyone minds about spots and swirls in their soap. It is a personal choice.

I don’t remember off hand what temperature we started pouring the batter but I do have a infrared thermometer.

Now I remember not warming my oils like I should’ve but I am starting another batch in like a week or so. With this one I’ll be recording start to finish, taking more notes, and have more pictures.

@B.T.E. Those are really beautiful! My trick when I get unexpected results, I call it 'rustic.' :)

I've had great luck in avoiding soda ash after I learned this: After I pour the batter in the loaf mold, I spray with rubbing alcohol, cover with saran wrap, put a piece of cardboard on top of the loaf, and cover with towels for gelling. It's worked every time.

Welcome welcome! This forum is/was a HUGE help especially when I first began and didn't even have the vocabulary or words for certain things.

@B.T.E. Those are really beautiful! My trick when I get unexpected results, I call it 'rustic.' :)

I've had great luck in avoiding soda ash after I learned this: After I pour the batter in the loaf mold, I spray with rubbing alcohol, cover with saran wrap, put a piece of cardboard on top of the loaf, and cover with towels for gelling. It's worked every time.

Welcome welcome! This forum is/was a HUGE help especially when I first began and didn't even have the vocabulary or words for certain things.

I heard of people using alcohol but I’ve never tried. I’ll look into trying it.

Great job. Be warned though, it is addictive! I started 2 months ago and I haven't stopped. I am approaching 100 pounds of soap.

Soaps look pretty :) It is very addictive ;) May I suggest the heat transfer method..Do you watch any youtubers who do soap making?

Soaps look pretty :) It is very addictive ;) May I suggest the heat transfer method..Do you watch any youtubers who do soap making?

yes I watch a few soap makers on YouTube...Uncle Jon’s, Soap Queen (BrambleBerrey), Thermal Mermaid, Royal Apple Valley, and a few others. I think I heard of the heat transfer method but I can’t recall it at this moment, but what is it though?

Back