Beginner question: can soap bases be defective?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suchisam

Reaction score
I recently bought a white soap base by Stephenson and it just won't work. The first time I tried M&P I used the same brand but with shea butter and it did the same thing. It's not melting properly and it's hardening way too fast... I have used other brands so I know something is off I'm just not sure what it is. I even tried melting just one cube in tiny bursts and same thing happened.
IMG_20220507_114425.jpg

Double-check the recommended temp for melting. Some bases require higher heat than others. If that doesn’t work, contact the supplier for troubleshooting. They are usually very helpful.

Double-check the recommended temp for melting. Some bases require higher heat than others. If that doesn’t work, contact the supplier for troubleshooting. They are usually very helpful.
The melting point is 138 F... It's happening with the clear soap base too I also put a cube under water and it didn't even foam.
It's all very suspicious👀 yeah I'll contact the supplier and see what's what.

There was another post recently about Stephenson's MP soap not melting properly. Stephensons has a higher melting point than WSP's. Try heating it up longer and checking the temp with a infrared thermometer.
Sometimes you have to go higher than the recommended temp in order to get it liquid enough to pour into molds.

Your picture shows that your MP base hasn't reached the liquid stage yet.

I microwave in 15-30 second intervals , stirring in between, and keep going until it's liquid. Also keep In mind that different kinds of soap even within the same brand do not melt at the same temperature.

another suggestion is to cut the MP base into smaller squares. 1/2 inch squares works really well in large batches for me.

The melting point is 138 F... It's happening with the clear soap base too I also put a cube under water and it didn't even foam.
It's all very suspicious👀 yeah I'll contact the supplier and see what's what.
some MP bases..especially the sulfate free bases do not suds up as much as other soaps. I like using a soap saver bag to increase suds but have gotten used to the creamy lather MP soap offers instead of bubbly suds.

There was another post recently about Stephenson's MP soap not melting properly. Stephensons has a higher melting point than WSP's. Try heating it up longer and checking the temp with a infrared thermometer.
Sometimes you have to go higher than the recommended temp in order to get it liquid enough to pour into molds.

Your picture shows that your MP base hasn't reached the liquid stage yet.

I microwave in 15-30 second intervals , stirring in between, and keep going until it's liquid. Also keep In mind that different kinds of soap even within the same brand do not melt at the same temperature.

another suggestion is to cut the MP base into smaller squares. 1/2 inch squares works really well in large batches for me.
The soap had mostly melted and turned into what you see in the picture within a minute, almost like the soap was already burnt before hand. Interesting that someone else mentioned the same thing.

Last edited:
some MP bases..especially the sulfate free bases do not suds up as much as other soaps. I like using a soap saver bag to increase suds but have gotten used to the creamy lather MP soap offers instead of bubbly suds.
What temperature is the soap you're melting it to?
It was me in the end😅 I was reading instructions from somewhere else that said not to heat it over 140 or let it boil. Today I chopped the pieces smaller and heated it to 200F and it worked 👍 So I was able to make some mothers day soaps after all :)
Whats that saying? A shoddy workman always blames his tools? Lol!

200 is a little high but if the soap isn't rubbery then its ok. I usually try to stay below 180 but it always depends on the manufacturer and the soap base itself. honey base will liquify faster than coconut and so forth.

200 is a little high but if the soap isn't rubbery then its ok. I usually try to stay below 180 but it always depends on the manufacturer and the soap base itself. honey base will liquify faster than coconut and so forth.
OK cool next time I'll try that👍

Latest posts

Back