Beginner layered soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So yesterday I did 4 loaves and screwed 2! However the results of the 2 that I didn’t screw up was great. My first screw up was a inference of someone talking to me while measuring me my second was I never used this particular fragrance and it riced so flipping fast I started to panic. I now know when using fragrance oils is to put it last! Here is some rose quartz soap I made , one with grey mica and one with purple.

Last edited:
That is a very pretty soap. Since you are from Canada, perhaps the other Canada soapers can chime in about the legal requirements for selling, because I believe there are some.

Also, please don't take this wrong, but so far, the questions you've posed in this forum sound like you might want to wait a bit longer before selling. Here is a good thread to read that will help you assess whether you are ready to start selling soap.

That is a very pretty soap. Since you are from Canada, perhaps the other Canada soapers can chime in about the legal requirements for selling, because I believe there are some.

Also, please don't take this wrong, but so far, the questions you've posed in this forum sound like you might want to wait a bit longer before selling. Here is a good thread to read that will help you assess whether you are ready to start selling soap.
I don’t at all take this the wrong way and thank you I have considered all those things as I own a salon as well. I know there are districts in Canada that say you cannot make it at home . Thank you again

Me too but I purchase so much, i did a smaller batch 1.5 lb at a time instead of 5lb and added the fragrance at the very last and my recipe was more fluid , temperature was low. I also changed my water discount ( nervous that it would turn super thick clumpy but was fine)

I hate ricing! Reminds me of a year infection gone wrong! Ughh sorry ladies I love dark humour.

I don’t at all take this the wrong way and thank you I have considered all those things as I own a salon as well. I know there are districts in Canada that say you cannot make it at home . Thank you again
You say you are a beginner? Do you know how your soaps will hold up for 6 months? A year? More? Also, if you're a Canadian, you will need to submit a Cosmetic Notification Form (CNF) before selling. It isn't an assessment, per se, it's just to make sure that you're not using anything you shouldn't. They take forever to get back but you can sell in the meantime. You will also need insurance.

As for what price you should sell for, that depends on your costs. Have you costed them out? Including your overhead and your time? The usual formula for pricing is your cost times 2 = wholesale. Wholesale times 2 = retail.

Latest posts

Back