Beginner- anyone tried sea moss soap?

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Emmeline, Jan 20, 2020.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 20, 2020 #1

Emmeline

Emmeline

Emmeline

Hey all I’m new here and loved reading through some of these threads! I wish I came across this forum before. I made my first batch of pine tar soap today with neem and now I’m just waiting for it to cure:)

I was wondering if anybody has made a sea moss soap? I have prepared it into a gel, but it can still be melted into liquid form...I’m just unsure how much to use and how to add that to soapcalc. Was thinking it could possibly be similar to aloe as it’s almost like the same texture but I’m clueless. Would appreciate any feedback! Happy soaping :)

Ladka likes this.
  2. Jan 21, 2020 #2

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Sounds like you could just use it as the water part of your soap. That's what i do with aloe juice.

Emmeline and Ladka like this.
  3. Jan 21, 2020 #3

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

Sea moss is rich is carrageenan and is added to other food products to thicken them. I’ve used aloe gel with carrageenan in it as a replacement for half of the water in my soap. The gel would probably be fine as a full replacement, but I can’t say since I haven’t tried it. If it’s gel/semi solid, you are going to need to get it to a liquid state. You could easily do a test run using it to replace half of the water in your recipe by using the “split method” where you mix your lye with an equal weight of water (or a little more water then Lye; by weight) and then use the other liquid as a replacement for the balance of the water weight called for in the recipe. The replacement liquid can be stick blended into the oils before you add the lye solution to the oils. If you decide to add the lye directly to the liquified sea moss gel, use a large container. Some replacement liquids can cause volcano-ing. Alternative liquids can also get very smelly, change colors or get gloppy when lye is added. You may need to experiment a bit with small batches until you find the best method.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Emmeline, Ladka and KiwiMoose like this.
  4. Jan 21, 2020 #4

Emmeline

Emmeline

Emmeline

Thank you both for your replies. I will try it out and let you know how it goes!

Draft saved Draft deleted