Before I attempt this CP...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to try cp in rectangle bar, silicone cavity molds. I'm sorry, I don't know the size, I'm at work. They hold 6. I really only have some experience with HP, except for one co loaf about a month ago.

I'm worried about getting them to gel because of the small size.
Is 38% water ok?
What temp do you recommend I soap at?
Should I leave out the sugar that I generally use or keep it in for heat?

Should I put them in the oven at 170 for 20 min (shutting the oven off)? Or should I just cover with plastic wrap and then a towel?
I don't have a heating pad big enough for both molds, or I would have gone that route.
I know that's a lot of questions...
Thank you in advance!!

Last edited:
I would keep the sugar because it will help with gel. I would also soap on the warm side, but not too warm if you want to do swirls. AND definitely CPOP. For me and my oven, I heat it to the LOWEST setting possible. My oven says the lowest is 150F, but if I set it slightly below that (it has a dial, not digital setting), my oven heats to about 135, which I prefer. I would cover each mold tightly with plastic wrap and set each on a piece of stiff cardboard, then place one mold on top of the other in a stack, then cover the top with a piece of cardboard and cover and wrap it all with a towel. Or I would cover with an inverted cardboard box if I had one that fit well to hold in the heat as it gels. I've done it both ways.

And, as you say, I would turn the oven off when I put the soap inside. Then I'd leave it, only opening the oven a couple of time to check the temperature. Some never open the oven again, but I do because my oven can cool off quickly when the soap goes in too cool, so I like to be sure it is heating up. If the soap does heat up, it keeps the oven warm, too. But if I were using a recipe that produces a lot of heat, I'd also check a couple more times to make sure it's not overheating. Although I don't think there is much of a chance of volcanoes in cavity molds.

In my experience with that 6-cavity mold, pour 4-4.5 oz in each cavity for easy release. I lightly grease with mineral (baby) oil. I wouldn't add sugar (a heater), but that's just me. Be sure to set the mold on a cookie sheet or cutting board to carry it to the laundry room -- that's where my newly poured soap goes. I don't wrap or OP (oven process). Since individual cavities are less likely to gel, I don't usually use colorant. I like ungelled soap just as well.

As far as water discount and soap temp, it depends on the oils/ingredients used, but you should be fine with 38% water and 100-110°F for most soaps. I don't use plastic wrap to prevent soda ash; or a towel or a heating pad to force gel; and the soaps turn out just fine.

I'm going to try cp in rectangle bar, silicone cavity molds. I'm sorry, I don't know the size, I'm at work. They hold 6. I really only have some experience with HP, except for one co loaf about a month ago.

I'm worried about getting them to gel because of the small size.
Is 38% water ok?
What temp do you recommend I soap at?
Should I leave out the sugar that I generally use or keep it in for heat?

Should I put them in the oven at 170 for 20 min (shutting the oven off)? Or should I just cover with plastic wrap and then a towel?
I don't have a heating pad big enough for both molds, or I would have gone that route.
I know that's a lot of questions...
Thank you in advance!!
Are we talking 38% "water as per oils" or "water as per lye" (aka 'lye concentration')? It makes a huge difference in how I answer.

IrishLass :)

Water as per oils, thank you! I want them to gel, but here's me remembering reading things like soda ash and glycerin rivers that I haven't had to think about with HP!

I am wanting to try a butterfly swirl. I know that it's a tough technique for a newb, but it's the technique that is making me want to give cp a try over my love for HP! My cavity molds aren't deep enough, really, for this. I may be looking around the house for something else to use. I may also try to modify my my 3 lb loaf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend using Lye Concentration instead the % of water option, it's generally more accurate and sensible for soapmaking. 30-35% Lye Concentration would be a good option for most cold process recipes.

IMG_3134.PNG
I HUGELY thank you for that, as I'm getting started soon! I'm going to modify the recipe to allow for that. Anything else you see as a potential problem? Should I go closer to 30% or 35%?

IMG_3135.JPG
Instead of the cavity molds (maybe in addition to!) I'm going to try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could split the difference and do 33%, hehe. That's a very commonly used Lye Concentration for CP. Or just go with 30% if you're nervous about water discounts.

I am wanting to try a butterfly swirl. I know that it's a tough technique for a newb, but it's the technique that is making me want to give cp a try over my love for HP! My cavity molds aren't deep enough, really, for this. I may be looking around the house for something else to use. I may also try to modify my my 3 lb loaf.
View attachment 28524 Instead of the cavity molds (maybe in addition to!) I'm going to try this.

For triangular soap, that will be fine. Or are you planning to do the hanger swirl, then why modify the 3-pound mold? Unless you are going for a smaller test size, then yes, modification would help.

If you want to use only half of the 3-pound mold but keep the rectangular shape, which makes it easier to insert and maneuver the hanger, here's what I would probably do:

Use the center half-way cardboard you have & wrap it in plastic wrap or freezer paper so it doesn't absorb your soap because you would need to leave it in the mold until the soap is ready to come out. For support, either use the one angled cardboard or cut two pieces to fit like one over the top of the other like you see in this video for soap dividers. (same concept with DIY dividers):

The supporting over-lapping structure would only go on one side of the mold to help support the center divider so it doesn't tip over from the weight of the soap.

Additionally, I would also line the half-size parition with freezer paper because for a butterfly swirl you need fairly fluid batter and you won't want it oozing out under the cardboard inserts to the other side.

I frequently use individual silicone molds, and I like to gel all my soaps, so this is the method I use. It's not the only way to do it, but it works for me, and gives consistent results. I would use a cookie sheet, and line it with newspaper or cardboard, because raw soap batter will cause marks. I'd place my molds on top, and put the whole shebang in the oven, turned on to it's lowest setting. I'd do this just before beginning to soap, in order to pre warm my molds. Once my soap was ready to pour, I'd take the cookie sheet out, pour the soap, put it back into the oven, close the door, turn the oven off, and leave it overnight, without opening the door. As I mentioned, there are many methods of doing this, but this one gives me the results I'm looking for, every time. Ovens, recipes, molds, there are lots of variables, and you may have to try different methods before you find what works best for you. Good luck! :)

IMG_3138.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg
I am trying to go for this. I wanted to try them individually in the cavity, I may still try that. I then decided to try it in the 3 lb mold. I won't like the size, but I'm considering cutting a middle, plain bar off. See what happens!!

@toxicon, I went with 33%!

That looks interesting. Could you provide a link to the youtube video? I'd love to see it.

I think I found it:

How innovative! A butterfly swirl without a hanger and as if in a slab mold rather than the traditional loaf mold way. It looks like fun!

I know that I'm biting off WAY more than I should be, with my first cp swirling, but as I say d, it's the only one that has made me want to cross over to a CP! I've got everything ready, any words of wisdom????

That looks interesting. Could you provide a link to the youtube video? I'd love to see it.

I think I found it:

How innovative! A butterfly swirl without a hanger and as if in a slab mold rather than the traditional loaf mold way. It looks like fun!

I might just have to play with that if I get time and I happen to have the same little mold. It is a great mold for testing and makes nice travel, guest size soaps

I know that I'm biting off WAY more than I should be, with my first cp swirling, but as I say d, it's the only one that has made me want to cross over to a CP! I've got everything ready, any words of wisdom????

I don't think it's too ambitious. Just be sure not to overuse your stick blender because you are going to need a very liquid batter. You just want to bring it to emulsion. Newbie did a really nice demonstration of how to recognize emulsion in this video:

It gives you plenty of time to separate and color the batter before you pour, as well as extra time for swirling. The first few times doing swirls in CP soap, many soapers go pretty slow, so a slow moving recipe, cool temperatures (not too cool for the oils, though) and mixing to emulsion all help give you more time.

Etsuko Watanabe makes beautiful soaps, and is one of my favorites on youtube. She did a round version which I have tried in an individual mold with left over batter, and it worked just fine. Good luck Laurabolyard, and post your pictures!

In the oven hopefully gellin'!
I should have taken a pic before it went in! I think that things went reasonably well, considering the size of the mold isn't quite right. The batter stayed pretty fluid for the duration. I FORGOT THE FRAGRANCE!
I had made a bit extra batter to experiment in the cavity molds, some look good, some not so much (started to thicken by then).

Any idea where to get the mold shown in the video?

Back