Beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hempsju

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any tips.tricks in using beeswax. I am finding it so difficult to use. So messy … blah, blah, blah. I love using it in a product and a local beekeeper gives it to me. It’s as hard as a rock, but smells amazing. So I guess , wondering best ways to melt it, etc.
Thanks All,
Julia

I use a stiff silicone spatula for scraping soap batter, lotion bars, wax, etc. If the spatula has a thin edge (blade?) and has a good corner that makes a big difference. A lot less to clean up when you’re done. Like a spatula meant for getting every last bit of peanut butter out of the jar.

What do you use beeswax for? I use it in lotion bars. My silicone measuring cups were a gamechanger. I make a double-boiler using the measuring cup in a pan of hot water. After pouring, I just wait for the wax to harden and scrape it out with a spoon or finger. There are other tips here: How to cut a brick o' beeswax?

I much prefer purchasing the beeswax pastilles.

I have a metal candle-wax pitcher that I melt the beeswax in, using a sort-of double boiler method by sitting the pitcher in a larger pan with a couple inches of water. After it melts I pour it into individual metal wax tart containers so that I can have smaller pieces. Once it's solidified, I put these in the freezer to make it easy to pop them out of the container. If the wax is darker than I want, I just stack these on the window sill so the sun can bleach them. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is really nice having it in these smaller chunks when making balms. I also make beeswax candles. I don't use beeswax in soap, I tried it, but feel it doesn't really add anything.

Back