Beer Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it depends on the particular beer used and what fragrance is added. There was a distinctive odor that I could only assign to the beer, although I don't think it smelled at all the same as the beer out of the bottle. But I have only used one brand of beer. Others have mentioned testing different stouts and so forth with an attempt to observe for scent carry-over. I am not sure what their results were over the course of a year or so. (I tend to cure all my soaps a good long time, so for me, a year or so is what I would look to in a long-lasting scent.)

As far as color, it depends on how you prepare the beer. Some people boil it down so the color is probably more concentrated. Some use it straight. Some use darker beers or ales, so they are probably darker soaps. I used a pale beer and also micas for coloring, and no TD, so cannot say if it could or would be white. But I believe that in my soap it could have been white if I had only used TD. Also what fragrance is used can also affect color.

On this subject:
1) Does any beer smell survive?
2) I’m guessing, even with TD, the best you’re going to get is dark ivory.
1) No, not after a cure the scent doesn't survive, at least not in my experience
2) depends on the type of beer. I use cheap bud light or bud light lime beer in my beer soaps, and they never darken, even if I gel them.

Your soap is gorgeous! I normally leave m,y beer soap plain Jane, lol.

On this subject:
1) Does any beer smell survive?
2) I’m guessing, even with TD, the best you’re going to get is dark ivory.

I make beer soap once a year, usually before football season. Is a great gift on Thanksgiving and Christmas for the boys....

All the times I made it, the beer smell does not survive, but depending on which beer you use, you will get different end colors.

What I do is get the beer scent from natures candles, and I mix half of that one (it really smells like the real thing), with a masculine scent. Sometimes bergamot, or black tie, specially like using the cowboy scent from lone star for this purpose.

Back