Beer Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottief

Reaction score
Question:

Made some beer soap for the first time. We didn't freeze it and it came out this most amazing orange colour. Made it a 2nd time and froze the beer. It came out a pale white.

I really love the orange colour it came out. My question is, Is it necessary to freeze the beer. I know I have read that it can burn it because of the sugars. I really want that colour. What is your opinion on freezing it before adding the lye as to just adding the lye to the room temp beer. Thanks for any help

I froze my beer mostly because a) I didn't want a lye volcano with the sugars in the beer, and b) I really dislike the smell of lye "cooking" things (beer, milk etc...)
If neither of those are a problem for you, I don't see why you can't use plain liquid beer thats gone flat and get the orange you like. I dont see any harm in "cooking" the beer with lye, in my newbie opinion.

I don't freeze any of my liquids that I use in my soap. My beer I just cook it to reduce it then refrigerate it. I add my lye slowly to the beer and keep it in an ice bath to keep it cool. It doesn't turn orange though. It's a rich creamy beige. I generally use dark beer.

Thanks Seawolf. It didn't matter if I froze the beer or left it liquid, I still got a nasty smell. LOL

Im going to try a small test batch today and see if I still get the orange colour without freezing. If I can figure out how to post a picture i'll show you both of the soaps. thanks for your help

I left my beer in a bowl in the fridge for 4-6 days stirring every day to decrease carbonation. Worked great! I just had to put it in the fridge ahead of time so I had to plan in advance when to make the beer soap :)

I boil it to get out the extra alcohol and carbonation, and have never frozen it. I make salt bars with it, and they get HOT, but I have never had them turn orange.

Just did a test batch and it didn't go orange. Maybe it was a beginners fluke? Ive tried 3 and 2 have gone beige and the first went orange. Strange. guess I'm not getting that amaing orange colour I got the first time.

That is odd - did you use the same beer? Did you do anything to the beer in the first batch? (let it go flat, cook the alcohol off..)

I'm finding that different beers impart a different color to a soap. I used one by Blue Moon that left my soap a pale cream, Resin by Six Point made a yellowish-brown soap, and Guinness Stout made a chocolate-brown soap. I never froze the beer, but they were always cold.

It just occurred to me, did you let the soap go through a gel phase? I found that whether or not the soap gels also affects the color of the soap.

I used the same beer. I have tried it 3 different ways, which I'm guessing is why Ive got different results. Im going to try one more test batch the same way I did it the first time and see what happens. I'm thinking that I burned the crap out of it the first time and maybe thats why it went orange.

I never froze my beer soap. I opened it and let it sit in a covered bowl for a week and then I boiled it. I didn't have any heat problems. It came out a real nice dark tan.

I used the same beer. I have tried it 3 different ways, which I'm guessing is why Ive got different results. Im going to try one more test batch the same way I did it the first time and see what happens. I'm thinking that I burned the crap out of it the first time and maybe thats why it went orange.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Latest posts

Back