Beer soap spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epicsoap

Reaction score
Hey Soap Making peeps!
I did my first batch of stout beer soap a few weeks back. One of my two moulds turned out pretty well perfect but the other one has some spots running over it.
I followed all the instructions on how to work with beer.
I am only just now getting around to posting a photo of my soap now but as you can see it developed some surface spots. I am not sure if this is some mild over-heating (alien brains) or maybe rancid oils? I did make the soap on a very warm day.
However, rancid oils would have surely affected both my molds pretty consistently right?
Perhaps it is because of a new variable in the beer?

Thanks for your help
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Happy NY!! Maybe it be one of much merry soap making!

Beer soap spots2.png

Alien brains is a difference in texture, not just in color. Rancidity doesn't look like this and it has a characteristic smell you don't mention. You say your soap has beer in it, but you don't share any other information.

I'm thinking its more of a problem with how you made it rather than what's in the recipe, but at this point I don't have enough information to make an intelligent reply. Share recipe and method, please!

For example -- WHAT instructions did you follow about working with beer? There are a few general ideas that beer soap makers tend to agree on, but there's no one set of instructions we all follow.

I'm wondering if it came out of the mold that way, or if those large spots developed days later after setting out to cure?

If it were one spot like that in the middle, I'd suspect partial gel, but obviously not. That darker ring as a transition zone is really cool. If it's just cosmetic, I'd like to know exactly what you did so that I could try duplicated it! :think:

The pattern kinda looks like what Auntie Clara did with her high-low water soaps. Her blog has a good article about it, but I'm not in a place to rummage up the URL link. Google ... Auntie Clara crop circles ... and I think it should pop up.

The pattern kinda looks like what Auntie Clara did with her high-low water soaps. Her blog has a good article about it, but I'm not in a place to rummage up the URL link. Google ... Auntie Clara crop circles ... and I think it should pop up.

Thanks, I just looked and that's exactly what it looks like! Now is it possible someone could do that by accident? haha!

Yes, I think it definitely could happen. For example, if the batter wasn't fully mixed up and a bit of higher water batter from the bottom of the soap pot was dropped into the main portion of (slightly) lower water batter ... then you might see this kind of pattern. Something like this could happen more often than you'd think -- we probably don't see it except when the conditions are exactly right. I'm not saying this happened to the OP's soap, but just that it's a possibility.

It's like streaking and mottling (aka glycerin rivers) -- some uncolored high water soaps don't appear on a quick glance to have any mottling, but they really are mottled if a person looks close. We just don't notice it because the mottling can be nearly invisible if the soap has no added colorants.

Thanks for the responses.
I did a home brew stout recipe. I boiled my beer and added lye to the beer from frozen with 31% lye. I used the Brambleberry Oatmeal stout fragrance.
It isn't rancid because the smell, I was wondering if it was a touch of overheating.
Is it possible there might have been something left in the mould before pouring that could cause this?
I had cut up the soap Christmas night and it was overly hot that evening and very humid the following two days. I didn't notice the spots when cutting it up.

Latest posts

Back