Beer Soap Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarnieSoapien

Reaction score
I would like to make a beer soap and I haven't seen any explanation about the beer to water ratio (or leaving out the water entirely).

I read somewhere that said you can replace all of the water with beer and other recipes have beer and water. Can someone please tell me if there is a beer to water ratio? Can you just use beer as your liquid?

Yes, you can just use all beer as your liquid. Sometimes if I haven't enough beer to make up the quantity, I make the difference up with water. I haven' t a clue about any ratio. Just use what I have on hand.

You can do it either way. You can let the beer go flat (removes the carbonation). You can boil the beer to boil off the alcohol and carbonation. You can refrigerate or freeze the beer into ice cubes. You can use an ice bath to help prevent the beer-lye solution from overheating and boiling up and out over the sides of your container, aka volcanoing (which it has a tendency to do left to its own devices.)

Here are a couple of useful links about soaping with alcoholic beverages:

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...use-alcoholic-beverages-in-cold-process-soap/

But don't use a glass container for making soap, otherwise Soap Queen is a pretty good resource.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/bramble-beer-soap/

My beers are 100% liquid of the soap (no water) I also don't boil/simmer out the alcohol. I just make sure it's flat and cold (not frozen) and soap as normal. It gets slightly thicker, slightly quicker than normal, but it's no different than using an accelerating FO.

Here's how I do beer soaps for my wholesale breweries (I currently have three).

1. Boil beer for 10 minutes. This is totally for safety reasons to get "most" of the alcohol off. Boiling for 10 minutes will remove 70-80% of the alcohol, although I do a low boil as I discovered that a rolling boil will either a) boil over the pot or b) change the natural color of the beer - so my beer might have a bit more than 20-30% alcohol. The first time I made beer soap I added lye directly to beer and it volcanoed dangerously (literally duck and run situation) out of my mixing pitcher. It was a pain in the butt to clean off my cabinets, counters, kitchen window... you get the idea. I was fortunate enough that I did not get any solution on me. I don't care for adding lye solution to anything frozen (no patience!), so I choose to boil. You can skip boiling and just make sure it is flat if you want.

2. Refrigerate overnight to cool beer. When in a hurry I have used the freezer to cool it in 4 hours. Please don't add lye to hot/warm liquids.

3. Add lye directly to cold beer. I usually do this in 3 parts, so 1/3 of the lye goes in, stir to dissolve, and repeat for the remaining 2/3 - adding 1/3 at a time in for each addition. I have added all the lye at once but I get some foaming up which scares the crap out of me, so I do it in parts. RESPECT THE LYE. :D I have a separate room with a door that is dedicated for soaping, so I do not have to worry about kids/pets messing with my lye solution, so I cover the lye pitcher with a cloth and let it sit to cool to room temp. Usually this is overnight, but I have checked it at around 6 hours and it's been cool.

4. When lye solution is cooled, make soap! I do all of my beer soaps at room temp as I have the best results at that temperature. I prefer to let my soaps gel, which they do quite well with just light insulation (a cardboard box over the mold with a towel thrown over it).

This isn't the only way to make beer soap, just how I do it! I have done it also by mixing lye and water at 1:1 and adding the remaining liquid as beer after the water solution has cooled. So if you need (made up numbers for easy math) 50g lye and 125g liquid, you would mix 50g lye and 50g water (I would actually do 60g water just to make sure there is enough water to completely dissolve the lye), and then add the remaining 65-75g liquid as beer. I would make sure the beer is flat, cold, and add in parts here as well, especially if you have not boiled it.

Thanks everyone for all of your input and suggestions! I made a batch this morning and it went well. I used beer only for my liquid. We had an open can in the fridge for a couple of days, so I knew it was flat and didn't boil it. I mixed my beer/lye solution in an ice bath, so it didn't volcano, and I split adding the lye into 3 parts. It did seem to accelerate once I got everything all mixed. Things went from pouring smoothly to lumpy in no time! I can't wait until it's cured and try it out.

Latest posts

Back