Beer Soap Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
Made this beer soap today, when I added the lye to the beer it fizzed! I've made beer soap several times and that is the first time I've had that reaction. After stirring the lye in, it thickened up. It didn't seem like the lye dissolved so I stick blended it. I only used 1/2 the liquid at that point because I was adding almond milk and I didn't want it to scorch. Seemed like all was going well, as soon as I added my FO it accelerated very quickly, I managed to glop it in the mold, it was more like a finished HP than a CP. Within minutes of molding the soap it started to crack on top, so instead of insulating it and trying to coax it into gel, I put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes and then just set it out on the table. It appears to have gelled all through. It's pretty solid now, and I just zap tested it, it did not zap. It's been about 5 hours since putting it in the mold. I would suspect my FO of causing the acceleration, and the honey for heating it up so quickly. I'm wondering how soon I can re-batch this, since I can already see that there are big air pockets in it from trying to mold it while it was so thick. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Olive 40%
Coconut 21%
Almond 17%
Lard 8%
Castor 5%
Babassu 4% (I'm trying to use up this oil)

33% lye concentration
5% SF
1/2 beer 1/2 almond milk (almond milk added to oils before mixing in lye/beer)
1.5 oz honey mixed into almond milk
1 oz oat flour
1.06 oz FO
soaped at room temp.

Your fo could have and probably did cause the acceleration, it could also be an fo the heats up along with the honey. If you can put your mold in the oven and can get your soap back in the mold you can remelt it in the oven at 170º F, depending on the mold. I do not use silicone so I am not sure if it will still get silicone rash if remelted. You can rebatch it anytime. I am one that never adds my beer to my lye, I do not like the possibility of a volcano and do not like the smell. You could have made your lye with 50% the required water/liquid amount and split the remainder of water/liquid between the beer and almond milk, and just dump it into the oils before adding your lye. No bad smell, no possible volcano.

Thank you Carolyn! I didn't think of doing 50% water and then splitting the beer/almond milk 50/50. I have always put my lye in my beer, the smell is bad but I've never had a volcano or a reaction like I did today. I don't really want to rebatch, but with the big air pockets, that is the part that bothers me, I don't want them in my bar. Do you think the oat flour is a problem with rebatching? For example: will it cook? Get pasty?

Thank you Carolyn! I didn't think of doing 50% water and then splitting the beer/almond milk 50/50. I have always put my lye in my beer, the smell is bad but I've never had a volcano or a reaction like I did today. I don't really want to rebatch, but with the big air pockets, that is the part that bothers me, I don't want them in my bar. Do you think the oat flour is a problem with rebatching? For example: will it cook? Get pasty?
No it should be fine. I use oat flour in soap and I am sure I have rebatched with it a time or two. I have had simmered, flat, & frozen beer volcano, which is why I add it to my oils not lye

Well, this is a learning experience for me then. I will add my beer differently next time, trust me! I'm going to rebatch this soap right now, it's been bothering me all day long :) When a soap doesn't turn out just like I want it to, I feel all out of sorts until I get it fixed. Thanks for taking the time to help me :)

Olive 40%
Coconut 21%
Almond 17%
Lard 8%
Castor 5%

Your oil percentages add up to 95% so something is missing.

Olive 40%
Coconut 21%
Almond 17%
Lard 8%
Castor 5%

Your oil percentages add up to 95% so something is missing.

I am pretty sure that was a typo on my part, I just got my recipe back out and it is 45% olive oil. Good catch!

Back