Beer in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmoose

Reaction score
I have seen a few beer soaps out there. A few of them say they have taken the alcohol out because it could dry the skin but most do not. Is it necessary to do so? Or does the lye mix kill it?

Bruce

The only thing I know about beer soap is that you need to let it go flat before using your lye with it. Careful you will have it volcano on you.

Alcohol and lye do not go well together. You must cook out the alcohol or let it go completely flat before making a lye solution. A SERIOUS volcano will take place if you don't. It's NOT pretty. Beer soaps are AWESOME and a great seller for me. Be careful though... Use flat beer always...

I loooove beer soap! I recommend using a dark stout (my favorite thus far is Obsidian Stout from the Deschutes Brewery), cooking it down and replacing all of the lye mixture with beer.

Goood stuff.

As mentioned above, I cook mine and reduce a 12 ounce can to about 6 or 7 ounces. It does add great lather! I sell a soap I call "Clove Bud & Brew" made with clove EO. Men love it! :)

I made one a couple of days ago. I didn't cook it, but I opened it and let it sit for about 5 days and had no problems.

I wanted an unscented that still smelled good.

I added some honey at trace, and it's wonderful.

JumpinKaren said:
I loooove beer soap! I recommend using a dark stout (my favorite thus far is Obsidian Stout from the Deschutes Brewery), cooking it down and replacing all of the lye mixture with beer.

Goood stuff.

I'm sorry, did you say you replaced the lye with the beer?
Can you tell me how this works?

WAIT! lol

Never mind, I think you mean, you replaced all the water in the lye water mixture, with beer, right?

I rendered my own tallow and let some of my Steel Reserve beer go flat and experimented with that. It was pretty cool. That's all I put in it. No coconut oil or nothing.

Uhh... whoops! No, I did not discover that beer has magic soap making properties negating the need for lye. Typo! :lol:

I replaced the water with two bottles of beer that had simmered for a while to remove alcohol and carbonation and to concentrate scent and color.

Here is my recipe:

• 8 oz coconut oil
• 10 oz palm oil
• 8 oz shea butter
• 6 oz olive oil
• 4.5 oz lye
• 10.5 oz cooked Obsidian Stout Beer
• ½ tspn allspice

-Karen

Latest posts

Back