Beer Can Candle

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlm65

Reaction score
I have never made any candles before but I am thinking about making some candles out of the many empty craft beer cans I have. One thought is, I did not want to waste a lot of wax filling up a whole 16oz can. Is there something I can fill the can with 1/2 way, then fill the rest with wax? (sand?) Also hoping this will help keep the lower part of can cooler. Thanks for any feedback.

I have never made any candles before but I am thinking about making some candles out of the many empty craft beer cans I have. One thought is, I did not want to waste a lot of wax filling up a whole 16oz can. Is there something I can fill the can with 1/2 way, then fill the rest with wax? (sand?) Also hoping this will help keep the lower part of can cooler. Thanks for any feedback.
Aluminum can candles are tricky. You have to be careful they don't get too hot, but in order for them not getting too hot, then they usually don't burn right because you don't have the right sized wick. Even for most experienced candlemakers aluminum cans can be tricky.
I would not recommend filling with sand, as sand is pourous, and wax can/will seep down into the sand and you are defeating the purpose. Also even if you do master the craft, as Shari said above, you would only be able to give your candles away, not sell them, unless by some miracle you could get a license to sell the name brand. (Very unlikely, and they very well could send a C&D letter, even for just giving them away)

If you filled the bottom with sand, even if some wax seeped down, you'd still be using a lot less. I am wondering if you could use a glass container to hold the beer can? So, you could make a bunch of can candles, put one in the glass container, and when the candle is done you throw away the can and put a new can in the glass container?

How are you going to cut the can so the edges aren't sharp?
I have modified a Safety Can Opener so I can open aluminum can that have a sloped upper edge.

I also wonder if there is any license issues using brand names.
I have reached out to the locale Craft Brewery to see if they mind if I repurpose there cans.

I would not recommend filling with sand, as sand is pourous, and wax can/will seep down into the sand and you are defeating the purpose.
Ok but do you have any suggestions?

Ok but do you have any suggestions
No, sorry I don't. As I said aluminum is tricky, so I gave up trying a long time ago. The testing was a nightmare, and after a case of wax, I only had a handful of successful candles, so for me it wasn't worth it.

Wet sand is used as a mold for candle casting. If you were to use wet sand and cast the candle it would take care of the metal overheating and the over use of wax.
Wick matching is still going to be a learning curve as well as getting the scent throw you want.

Just my two cents worth.
Steve

Wet sand is used as a mold for candle casting. If you were to use wet sand and cast the candle it would take care of the metal overheating and the over use of wax.
Wick matching is still going to be a learning curve as well as getting the scent throw you want.

Just my two cents worth.
Steve
would you put wet sand in the can and then pour wax over it? how would the wax dry? would it grow mold? would pouring hot wax over wet sand in a beer can cool the wax down so that it doesn't set properly?

Latest posts

Back