Beer and wine maker members

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
Do we have any beer or wine makers in our family forum? I've tried to make beer with a kit, it turned "skunky" on me. :oops:

OK, how many make the good stuff? :lol:

Home brewing and soapmaking

Hi,
I have been home brewing beer for a few years now and have a 5 gallon batch system down pat. Most of the little bitty beer making kits are no good for making drinkable beer. They're novelty gifts at best. You need a proper bucket fermentator system in order to be able to make decent stuff.
For about $200, I purchased a homebrew kit from Williams Brewing Co with some extract brewing kits. Extract brewing is the way to go and and you can make a very drinkable ale in about an afternoon. The hard part is waiting the couple of weeks for it to ferment and age before drinking it!
I recommend Willians Brewing Co and Seven Bridges Cooperative. They're both in CA and provide good products and good customer service. PM me if you need additional info.

I started soapmaking about 9 mos ago and refuse to make "foo-foo" soaps. I have been experimenting with hop oil as a fragrance, tho. I also have met one soapmaker that makes a "Beer soap"....although he was using Bud Light.

You won't regret it...

Drinking beer you brewed yourself is is it's own reward. Freshly brewed beer has an infinitely more complex and robust taste than any Bud or Miller product. I wish you the best of luck.

I have made my own wine (from kits) for 2 1/2 years now. I've made 33 kits so far. I did make a beer from one of those itty bitty kits on May 1 (National HomeBrew Day) and it turned out really well. It was a classic english pale ale. I bought grolsch bottles to put it in.

I needed a new "Non-Alcoholic" hobby (LOL) so I just started making soap a couple of weeks ago! :wink:

as much as the idea of makin my own intrigues me .. i'll stick to budlite lol

Before I found myself working full-time off the farm, we used to make about 20 gallons of fruit wines a year. Nasty stuff! So delicious that you're in a coma under the table if you don't have extreme self-discipline, LOL!

We've never messed with brewing beer, but we are blessed to live in an extremely rich and diverse agricultural area. Among other things, there are about 500 acres of hops in my immediate neighborhood, and 3 hop kilns within a mile. You absolutely wouldn't believe the way the air smells when they're cutting and processing hops in September! Absolutely heavenly. Very, very interesting to watch, too.

If anybody's interested, check this website. http://roadbrewer.blogspot.com/2007/08/ ... l-hop.html
Scroll down to the bottom for a picture of one of the hopyards I can see from my kitchen window -- for reference, those poles are 18 feet tall!

PixieWick said:
as much as the idea of makin my own intrigues me .. i'll stick to budlite lol
Noooo! Yuengling!!!!

Before I found myself working full-time off the farm, we used to make about 20 gallons of fruit wines a year. Nasty stuff! So delicious that you're in a coma under the table if you don't have extreme self-discipline, LOL!

We've never messed with brewing beer, but we are blessed to live in an extremely rich and diverse agricultural area. Among other things, there are about 500 acres of hops in my immediate neighborhood, and 3 hop kilns within a mile. You absolutely wouldn't believe the way the air smells when they're cutting and processing hops in September! Absolutely heavenly. Very, very interesting to watch, too.

If anybody's interested, check this website. http://roadbrewer.blogspot.com/2007/08/ ... l-hop.html
Scroll down to the bottom for a picture of one of the hopyards I can see from my kitchen window -- for reference, those poles are 18 feet tall!

that sounds awesome...you should buy hops from them and brew some beer up (or just take it out of the field ...go over and help em chop it for some of it lol)

wish i had one around me :)

...and on a side note.. you know what hops is related to?? (the only other plant in its family.)

...used to be a bio major so i had to learn all these plants and stuff...well ....you research it! lol

Ian

LOL, Ian, harvest is such a frenzied time, you just stay out of their way! They literally cut vines 24 hours a day to get it done. They have these open trailers that they pull down the rows. There is a framework that sticks about 17 feet in the air with a blade on it, and another blade just a couple feet off the ground. As they drive down the row, the bottom blade slices through the vines and the twine that they're growing on, then as the trailer moves underneath, the top blade cuts the twine at the top and the whole 16 feet or so of vine falls onto the trailer. When the trailer is topped off they hit the road for the kiln where there are workers to hang the vines onto a conveyer track to go through the cone stripper. We often see pieces of vines that have been spilled off the trailers along the road as they're hauling from the field to the kiln. Not enough cones to brew with, but enough to stink up the kitchen if they drop some conveniently where I can hop out of the truck and grab some. Depends, some years the road is littered and other years they have better drivers!

3cats, I'm in the northern Willamette Valley of Oregon, about 40 miles south of Portland.

Oh -- and Ian, I didn't know this, but a quick google tells me that hops are the genus Humulus which is in the cannabidacae family.....HMMMMMM! V-e-e-e-e-r-r-r-r-y interesting! 8)

happyday said:
Oh -- and Ian, I didn't know this, but a quick google tells me that hops are the genus Humulus which is in the cannabidacae family.....HMMMMMM! V-e-e-e-e-r-r-r-r-y interesting! 8)

your on your way to detectivehood :)

8)

I have 3 cats too! All SPCA adoptees. The newest is Charlie a Ragdoll. I got him in January. No more for me.... I would bring them all home if I could! I live in St. Petersburg, FL. I bet Oregon is beautiful. I haven't been that far yet. I am going to San Francisco in October though! Can't wait for that!

I make my own beer and love it. There are for the most part 3 types of brewing you can do. Extract, all grain, and a mix of the two. I am a all grain brewer and have been for many years. I have played with adding many different things to beer. Some with great success and not so much with others. At my daughters request I made a root beer beer once. Never again! I have brewed beers with jalapinos, pumpkin, apples, potatoes, coffee, and a few others I can't think of right now. I have entered 2 home brew contests and won one of them. I entered a Porter and took first place with it. I made a coffee stout recently that was very good. Now before I leave you I will give you a recipe that I created that is interesting and to my suprise very very good.

8 lbs. Maris Otter grain
8 oz. Crystal L-10 grain
8 lb Russett potatoes
Cascade hops 6.2 HBU 60 min.
Cascade hops 4.5 HBU 15 min.
White labs Califorina ale yeast

NOTES Standard single step mash. I ran the potatoes thru a cheese grater and put enough water to cover them plus 2 inch and cooked till soft. Strain and when cooled to about 155 deg. I add to mash. I hit 1.052 OG and had FG of 1.005. ABV 5.9%

To anyone wanting to learn I reccomend the following book. "How to brew" by John J Palmer.

Have a great day and a good beer!

Bruce

I'm late to this topic (and new to this forum), but I make wine -- mostly fruit wines, but some grape. Anyone know if there's a wine FO I can get for my soap?

I made beer from those cans of Malt extract for 10 years until one day I traded my old open top stainless beer barrel for one of those store bought plastic kits and it never tasted the same after that. My father in law taught me how to brew it in an open tub covered by a towel and then syphoned off with a hose. I camped regularly in the mountains and started bringing back spring water to brew with and the beer was fabulous, so fabulous that I now do not drink at all as I had my lifetime quota by age 50. :D

Danimal said:
Anyone know if there's a wine FO I can get for my soap?

www.peakcandle.com has Cabernet Grape, but it's defined as not
wine, but the juicy, sweet, fresh cabernet grape BEFORE made into wine.

You've seen beer soap? People make wine soap as well.
Guess you could use Grapey=grape and call it concord wine.

Back