Beer and wine maker members

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made beer from those cans of Malt extract for 10 years until one day I traded my old open top stainless beer barrel for one of those store bought plastic kits and it never tasted the same after that. My father in law taught me how to brew it in an open tub covered by a towel and then syphoned off with a hose. I camped regularly in the mountains and started bringing back spring water to brew with and the beer was fabulous, so fabulous that I now do not drink at all as I had my lifetime quota by age 50. :D

That is how I start my wines then syphon into carboy with air-locks.

I'm new here and pleased to find brewers, too.

I still use an old food grade plastic pail to brew in (about 7 days for a 19 l batch), then siphon into a stainless soft drink canister .. the type that was used for restaurant use many years ago .. age a week or so then hook up to CO2 and dispense through the door of my beer fridge.

Simple enough and very reliable, quality brews.

I too make fruit wines, dangerously delicious, you have to be very careful, or you'll be under the table in no time! My favourite so far is damson, this will be my fourth year. The dandelion raisin wasn't so great, more like sherry!

I make wine from kits, and have for about two years now. I also make cheese, vinegar, can tomato sauce and salsa, pickles......

I buy almost all my kits from Midwest Supplies. They are great. With good prices.

I really enjoy being able to drink a wine (that tastes good!) that I can say "I made myself." And unlike beer, it is MUCH cheaper to make wine than buy it commercially. My husband has made beer, and it isn't that cost-effective.

The only downside to making your own wine is the wait until it has aged enough. Red wines especially. It is hard to keep away from it until it is really good.

Latest posts

Back