Beer and dragons, what a night!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
The peace, love & Beer soap is for my grandpa. Right before Notre Dame would take the field he would say "I want peace & love in this house and bring me a beer". It was his way of saying shut up while the game was on lol. The 2 holiest days of the year in my grandparents house were Irish game day and Easter, in that order lol. I used beer powder in this one. For those who want to use beer but don't want to boil it down, then the beer powder from Wholesale supplies plus is perfect. No muss, no fuss.

The purple dragon is a kids soap and I am going to make more as soon as my column molds get here. I'm going to do a learn your shapes soap to make learning fun for the kids.

Attachments

• 20210214_083430_wm_compress88.jpg
    20210214_083430_wm_compress88.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210214_082932_wm_compress33.jpg
    20210214_082932_wm_compress33.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 33
You achieved very vibrant colors. Good job!
Thanks, I have a recipe that produces a very white soap. Then I gell my soap for least an hour @145°F plus until it turns translucent. That gives me vibrant colors with just a tsp ppo of mica and I can usually cut my soap around 8-12 hours later without a problem.

I too love the story behind the beer soap, and also the idea of "learn your shapes (and colors...)" with the kiddie soap. Fantastic!

Great great story!! And great soap, too!
Thanks @Zing. I try to draw inspiration from my life. It turns out that my past is more interesting than I thought. My grandpa and grandma were not emotional and I never heard I love you from either one and for many years that bothered me. But a few years ago an old memory popped into my head and then I realized that they were funny and encouraging. Ever since then I have been trying to look at my time with them in a different light. It has been a wonderful journey and I have discovered so many new memories.

I used beer powder in this one. For those who want to use beer but don't want to boil it down, then the beer powder from Wholesale supplies plus is perfect. No muss, no fuss.
I have WSP's Beer Powder but I haven't used it yet. Did it give you any trouble? What does it smell like? Any other comments would be appreciated.

I have WSP's Beer Powder but I haven't used it yet. Did it give you any trouble? What does it smell like? Any other comments would be appreciated.
I didn’t have any problems with it and the beer powder itself really doesn't have a smell to it. And the FO is not affected by the beer powder. It does turn your oil a light tan so you want to pick your colors accordingly. It gives you what you want from beer without the hassle.

I didn’t have any problems with it and the beer powder itself really doesn't have a smell to it. And the FO is not affected by the beer powder. It does turn your oil a light tan so you want to pick your colors accordingly. It gives you what you want from beer without the hassle.
Thank You.gif

What if I want to go old school and use actual beer? I masterbatch my water/lye at 1:1, and I soap at 1.6:1, so I boiled down about 16 ounces of beer to about 2.4 ounces (68 grams) of beer syrup (about 15% of the original weight). Those 68-ish grams of beer syrup accounted for the other 0.6 of liquid. I used 28 ounces of oils. I added the beer syrup at trace. I used a full, stout pale ale, and it didn't speed up trace all that much. I also added about 15 g of citrus essential oils. (I normally do about 25 to 30g for a 28 ounce oil batch), but I didn't want the citrus to come out stronger than the beer. I let the soap sit in the mold for 48 hours, full gel, but it doesn't have that "oh yeah! that smells like beer" kind of smell. The citrus isn't too strong, so I don't think it's that. But my question is, has anyone else had success using boiled down beer mixed at trace?

Can you get that classic beer smell just by using beer (syrup, [like mine], or flat, alcohol-removed beer mixed in with the lye)? Or do you have to use beer powder? What about using a half flat, alcohol-removed beer, and half syrup to mix with the lye (in an effort to get more beer into the soap)? Any thoughts? Any success stories? Any less-than-successful stories? 🙏 :)🍻

Although I prefer Guinness, I used Budweiser the first time I made it. I labelled it "Sudsweiser". 🤣

FWIW, I open the beer and let it set on the counter until it goes flat. I like to use it all. The scent doesn't carry over which is a shame. But the benefits of beer in soap is that it is good for hair and body and it boosts lather.

Last edited:
Beautiful
The peace, love & Beer soap is for my grandpa. Right before Notre Dame would take the field he would say "I want peace & love in this house and bring me a beer". It was his way of saying shut up while the game was on lol. The 2 holiest days of the year in my grandparents house were Irish game day and Easter, in that order lol. I used beer powder in this one. For those who want to use beer but don't want to boil it down, then the beer powder from Wholesale supplies plus is perfect. No muss, no fuss.

The purple dragon is a kids soap and I am going to make more as soon as my column molds get here. I'm going to do a learn your shapes soap to make learning fun for the kids.
Beautiful colours. The soap seems almost translucent. What colours did you use and do they wash out staining the soap dish?

Latest posts

Back